Dead Memory? Or Dead Slots?

griff_car

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015
Hey guys!
So I have been running a Gigabyte GA-Z87 UD4H board for a while, almost two years now, and I just started having RAM issues. My computer would restart in the middle of doing something, playing a video game, anything, and wouldn't give me a blue screen. Now, I called Crucial (I am running 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600) and got them RMA'd even though they were almost two years old, and they happily took them back. I am still waiting to get the new sticks.

So I thought it was a RAM issue. In the meantime, I have gone through EVERY set of RAM in my house and I still get the continuous beeping when it starts up, which as we know, hints at a RAM issue. I have tried Corsair Vengeance (8GB 4x2, 1600mhz) and put them in every slot... I have tried 8GB of my Kingston HyperX Beast 2400mhz in EVERY slot and it didn't work... I am starting to get pretty clueless as to what the problem could be. I used the machine fine when my 8GB of Crucial Memory was in there. And that was 4 days ago, before I sent that stick off with the other "dead" one.

So, anyways, I am starting to think that my UD4H board is going bad. Maybe the memory slots are failing? If you guys have any insight, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks!

Specs if it makes any difference. -
CPU: Intel i7-4770K @ Default 3.5Ghz
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z87 UD4H
RAM: I had the Crucial Ballistix Memory and that's the last memory that works. But if you recommend me try a different set, don't worry, I have plenty of ram in other machines and just laying around.
PSU: OCZ 850W Gold Edition
G-Card: EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 770

griff_car

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015

Yes, it has been moved in the last 24 hours, I move it between houses every week. But it never has a problem with moving around and constantly disconnecting things.
I reset the CMOS a number of times also. I will try blowing out the slots, but I don't think that is the issue.
Thanks for the response!

griff_car

Reputable
Jan 24, 2015

For what it's worth, I am using a liquid cooler. It seems as though there is not really enough weight there for it to affect the CPU negatively.