Question Dead mobo after a few days with the RTX3080

Dec 18, 2020
Hello all,

I have a weird issue ...
A few days ago I installed the EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 in my system.
Prior to this I installed a brand new PSU ( Coolermaster V850 V2 ), just to be sure I'd have enough power.

Yesterday, while playing Cyberpunk, my PC suddenly decided to reboot itself.
Even though this felt a lot like a faulty PSU, I decided to reboot, DDU the drivers and install an older version of the NVIDIA drivers.
At the same time I slightly underlocked the GPU (since this is a thing they seem to suggest when Cyberpunk reboots your PC :D ).

Booted up the game again, played for an hour or so and BAM ... shutdown again.

I gave up and went to sleep ... only to find my PC not booting at all this morning.
There was a red LED on the GPU, so I thought it might be bricked.
I plugged in my old GTX 1080 and the system didn't boot up either.

The only thing giving any signs of life is the Aura lighting on the motherboard.
No fans spinning, no beep boop stuff going on, nothing ...

I plugged the RTX 3080 in an older system. The huge RGB bar lit up and the PC started just fine, no red LED on the GPU.

So my question ... could this be a faulty PSU or could the RTX be the cause of my bricked motherboard?

I have (had) the following specs:
i7 7700k running at 5Ghz
32 GB DDR4 2400
Asus Strix Z270E Motherboard

Because nothing boots up anymore I ordered a i7 10700k with the Strix Z490E and a new PSU (NZXT C-Serie 850W ) just to be sure.
The only thing that worries me, is that the GPU itself might brick this new motherboard ... if that's even possible.

Sorry for the long post and thanks a lot for the help!
Coolermaster V850 V2

I'm not sure a faulty GPU can damage a motherboard. Never heard of it. Usually, a faulty GPU will just not work, or crash during gaming, or will display the desktop using windows drivers and fail to install Nvidia drivers.

A faulty PSU could damage a motherboard although it is fairly unusual these days. I did see it happen once, a loud bang, smoke, and a dead PSU and motherboard but it was a really cheap PSU 20 odd years ago.

Reactions: Behemoth3600
Hello all,

I have a weird issue ...
A few days ago I installed the EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 in my system.
Prior to this I installed a brand new PSU ( Coolermaster V850 V2 ), just to be sure I'd have enough power.

Yesterday, while playing Cyberpunk, my PC suddenly decided to reboot itself.
Even though this felt a lot like a faulty PSU, I decided to reboot, DDU the drivers and install an older version of the NVIDIA drivers.
At the same time I slightly underlocked the GPU (since this is a thing they seem to suggest when Cyberpunk reboots your PC :D ).

Booted up the game again, played for an hour or so and BAM ... shutdown again.

I gave up and went to sleep ... only to find my PC not booting at all this morning.
There was a red LED on the GPU, so I thought it might be bricked.
I plugged in my old GTX 1080 and the system didn't boot up either.

The only thing giving any signs of life is the Aura lighting on the motherboard.
No fans spinning, no beep boop stuff going on, nothing ...

I plugged the RTX 3080 in an older system. The huge RGB bar lit up and the PC started just fine, no red LED on the GPU.

So my question ... could this be a faulty PSU or could the RTX be the cause of my bricked motherboard?

I have (had) the following specs:
i7 7700k running at 5Ghz
32 GB DDR4 2400
Asus Strix Z270E Motherboard

Because nothing boots up anymore I ordered a i7 10700k with the Strix Z490E and a new PSU (NZXT C-Serie 850W ) just to be sure.
The only thing that worries me, is that the GPU itself might brick this new motherboard ... if that's even possible.

Sorry for the long post and thanks a lot for the help!
Coolermaster V850 V2
Since you have power issues i would say that the PSU is the culprit, can you try your previous psu to power your board with?

Dec 18, 2020
Since you have power issues i would say that the PSU is the culprit, can you try your previous psu to power your board with?

Thanks for the reply!

I forgot to mention that I also tried 2 different Corsair 750W PSU's (the ones we had before the 850W).
They booted up on the old PC just fine. On the bricked PC it didn't do anything, no fans spinning, no beep sounds...just dead.
The 850W also boots up the old PC fine, but I can't really stress test that system.

Thanks for the reply!

I forgot to mention that I also tried 2 different Corsair 750W PSU's (the ones we had before the 850W).
They booted up on the old PC just fine. On the bricked PC it didn't do anything, no fans spinning, no beep sounds...just dead.
The 850W also boots up the old PC fine, but I can't really stress test that system.
It has all the hallmarks of a borked mobo :s
Can you lend/steal/get another mobo to test your cpu ram and such with?
can you try bootingwithout gpu, with one ramstick and all that?

Dec 18, 2020

I tried booting with one RAM-stick but it never boots up.
I don't have another motherboard with this socket to test it on.
I have a new one incoming, I just hope the RTX 3080 wasn't the culprit behind this ... otherwise I'm going to have a super expensive weekend :D

Dec 18, 2020
So you underclocked the core frequency of the RTX? And only after the first reboot?

I can't imagine this making any difference TBH.

Did you raise VRAM frequency? or limit GPU power consumption to a 60-70 percent?

So there's a processor running at 5 Ghz as well..I don't know i7 ...no frequency tweaks or is this 24OO Mhz just standard XMP or Jedec.

Last edited: