lowep

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Merry Xmas to you!

For my Intel DP55wb mobo that I just bought and installed 6 months ago looks like xmas is not so merry - suspect it is kaput but am not sure how to verify this?

As you can see on this thread here I thought the problem was the PSU but when I replaced the PSU nothing improved.

Just now I disconnected everything apart from the CPU, removed the mobo from the case, reconnected the PSU via the 24 pin socket and the CPU via the 2x2 socket on the mobo and crossed my fingers - nothing happened apart from the small green light on the mobo coming on.

No beeps, no moving fan blades in the brand new PSU... :pfff:

When I removed the mobo I noticed a little silver-colored dust on the top of the board that I carefully brushed off before continuing. Maybe this is a sign of corrosion caused by the high humidity and hot temperatures where I am currently working and maybe this could be the cause of the problem.

Is there anything more I can do to verify if the motherboard is dead or not?

lowep

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
After breadboarding and trying this good advice:

"Pull everything except the CPU and HSF. Boot. You should hear a series of long single beeps indicating memory problems. Silence here indicates, in probable order, a bad PSU, motherboard, or CPU - or a bad installation where something is shorting and shutting down the PSU.

looks like my motherboard is kaput, as with only cpu and fan connected I get no beeps from the onboard piezo speaker.

:sleep: :ouch:

lowep

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
its official - mobo is kaput :cry: found somebody who knows enough to be able to confirm this...looks like problem is corrosion caused by high humidity, tropical temperatures and sea air (maybe this is why I am also rusting?).

so now the question becomes how apart from locking my computer up in a purpose-built dust sealed air-conditioned room can I reduce the risk of this happening again (to the computer not me?) so far no problems with my laptop that is maybe better suited to harsh environmental conditions than a desktop system?

is there any sort of lg1156 mobo design or (micro-atx?) case that could reduce the risk? probably just best to be prepared to replace the mobo again sooner rather than later...

good news is am now also sure there is nothing wrong with my old psu that I thought was the problem with my system