[SOLVED] Dead motherboard or cpu?

Jan 20, 2021
Hello,

I was just playing games as normal. I had bought a new cpu cooler few days earlier and decided to finally install it. I ran cinebench to not make the cpu stick to the stock cooler when removed. Everything went smoothly during the cooler swap, but after I was done, my pc didn't respond anything when I tried to turn it on. No fans spinning, no lights (except a little gpu light and keyboard lighting) and no beeps. Well of course first I checked if my power switch was on, if all the cables were firmly in, reseated both ram sticks and gpu, reset cmos etc. None of these made any difference. Note: all I did between changing the coolers was cleaning the old thermal paste off the cpu, took off gpu and 1 stick of ram. At this point I was sure it's my psu. I took it out of the case and tried it with another computer, and it worked perfectly fine. I also tested my gpu on the same computer and that worked well too.

Now I decided to take the mobo out of the case, and simply breadboard the system. Mobo, cpu and original cooler, psu, 1 stick of ram, gpu and tried to boot it with the shorting power pins method. Still nothing. At this point sure the problem is in mobo or cpu, because i've never heard someone has had both ram sticks die at the same time. Then I simply tried reseating the cpu just to make sure, but still nothing. The cpu pins were completely fine too.

Now I'm just wondering, how can a barely 2 year old cpu/mobo just stop working? I doubt heat has anything to do with this since I've never overclocked a single component. I have always been very careful when doing anything to my pc.

And is there any other way to test cpu or mobo without another one?

Any help is appreciated!

specs:
R5 2600
GTX 1060 6gb
ASRock b450 pro4
Crucial Ballistix 2x8 DDR4 3000mhz
Seasonic m12ii evo 650w
old cooler: amd wraith stealth
new: Arctic freezer 34

Solution
Hello,

I was just playing games as normal. I had bought a new cpu cooler few days earlier and decided to finally install it. I ran cinebench to not make the cpu stick to the stock cooler when removed. Everything went smoothly during the cooler swap, but after I was done, my pc didn't respond anything when I tried to turn it on. No fans spinning, no lights (except a little gpu light and keyboard lighting) and no beeps. Well of course first I checked if my power switch was on, if all the cables were firmly in, reseated both ram sticks and gpu, reset cmos etc. None of these made any difference. Note: all I did between changing the coolers was cleaning the old thermal paste off the cpu, took off gpu and 1 stick of ram. At this point I...
Hello,

I was just playing games as normal. I had bought a new cpu cooler few days earlier and decided to finally install it. I ran cinebench to not make the cpu stick to the stock cooler when removed. Everything went smoothly during the cooler swap, but after I was done, my pc didn't respond anything when I tried to turn it on. No fans spinning, no lights (except a little gpu light and keyboard lighting) and no beeps. Well of course first I checked if my power switch was on, if all the cables were firmly in, reseated both ram sticks and gpu, reset cmos etc. None of these made any difference. Note: all I did between changing the coolers was cleaning the old thermal paste off the cpu, took off gpu and 1 stick of ram. At this point I was sure it's my psu. I took it out of the case and tried it with another computer, and it worked perfectly fine. I also tested my gpu on the same computer and that worked well too.

Now I decided to take the mobo out of the case, and simply breadboard the system. Mobo, cpu and original cooler, psu, 1 stick of ram, gpu and tried to boot it with the shorting power pins method. Still nothing. At this point sure the problem is in mobo or cpu, because i've never heard someone has had both ram sticks die at the same time. Then I simply tried reseating the cpu just to make sure, but still nothing. The cpu pins were completely fine too.

Now I'm just wondering, how can a barely 2 year old cpu/mobo just stop working? I doubt heat has anything to do with this since I've never overclocked a single component. I have always been very careful when doing anything to my pc.

And is there any other way to test cpu or mobo without another one?

Any help is appreciated!

specs:
R5 2600
GTX 1060 6gb
ASRock b450 pro4
Crucial Ballistix 2x8 DDR4 3000mhz
Seasonic m12ii evo 650w
old cooler: amd wraith stealth
new: Arctic freezer 34

Hello and welcome to the forums
I had a similar issue not too long ago on my 3600 and b450 tomahawk max
Did the breadboarding and everything too
From the info you have given us, it all points to your mobo (for me swapping mobo solved my issue)

cpu's are pretty much immortal anyway, do check the pins for bends though

Solution
Jan 20, 2021
Hello and welcome to the forums
I had a similar issue not too long ago on my 3600 and b450 tomahawk max
Did the breadboarding and everything too
From the info you have given us, it all points to your mobo (for me swapping mobo solved my issue)

cpu's are pretty much immortal anyway, do check the pins for bends though

Thank you for your quick reply!

At this point I'm also pretty sure it's the board... My cpu pins are good as new. I guess I will be heading straight ordering a new board. Hopefully that works for me too!