Dead Motherboard or dead CPU?

Datulab

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015
When I started my PC this morning the fans started spinning,the lights were on but there was no signal on the monitor and my keyboard didn't turn on. Nothing further happened and the fans didn't stop.
So I removed the graficscard the drives and left only one stick of memory in there. Now it posted! Next I reconnected my drives and tried again. No post:( so I disconnected the drives again and even that didn't work anymore. Later I tried different situations with various things connected but I couldn't get it to post again. The only thing that changed is, that after 3 seconds the fans stop spinning and the PC tries to start fresh.
My guess is that the motherboard is dead, especially because I had problems with one SATA port before, but I don't know if it also might be the CPU that is the problem. (I tested the PSU and it worked fine)
My Motherboard doesn't have a error code display and neither can I find a place to connect a speaker. I also tried to clear my BIOS but it didn't help.

Does anyone have an idea?

My specs:
i7 4790k
GA-H97n-wifi
2x8 GB HyperX Savage @1600MHz
GTX 970 Strix
Samsung 850 Evo
Corsair RM550
bequiet! Dark rock advanced c1

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Do you know if you have the latest BIOS? Try minimal, 1 stick of DRAM and CPU and see if you can get to BIOS and look at the date/time. If rather old, you prob have a failing CMOS battery. If date/time good, then may well be the mobo. What problem did you have before with SATA?

Datulab

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

Yea, that's what I tried but I couldn't get any signal or error message, neither am I able to get into the bios.
But I don't think that the battery is failing because the board is only about 9 Months old.

The problem I had earlier was that my HDD would just randomly disconnect when I'm writing to it. I solved it by plugging it into another SATA port.

If you are sure it is the motherboard, that's fine because I still have warranty, I just wanted to make sure it isn't the CPU and I send the motherboard back.

Datulab

Reputable
Dec 7, 2015

Thanks for your answer! I tested the battery with my multi meter and it still had 2.7V / 3V. That doesn't sound to bad but just to make sure I replaced the battery but no effect on posting.

So I will send this motherboard back and hopefully get a new one soon.

Thanks again for your fast and knowledgeable answers!