Dead motherboard???

shakushinnen

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2003
Hi,
I'm trying to decide if this motherboard is any good, or not. It was give to me, and I haven't been able to get it to boot. It's an ECS RS400-A. It had nothing on it when I bought it, so I've had to add my own hardware. The problem is that it will not boot. I get no image on the monitor, which I've checked out. The hard drive light comes on, but I don't hear the normal sound of the software loading. I get no beeps from the speaker. The cpu fan comes on, and the board light comes on.
I have swapped out the built in video card with one I know works and tried several memories. I have tried two psu's. I have tried several button batteries, and cleared the CMOS several times. I have it breadboarded (not installed in a case), the heat sink is sitting on top of the cpu, not fastened down. (I don't think these things are a problem.) Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
...... john

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
The fan not being fastened to the CPU isn't going to prevent a post, but it will destroy your processor if you do succeed in booting. You need a very, very tight connection to properly cool it, and you won't get that just from the force of gravity.

At any rate, there are a number of things that could be wrong here. The processor may be bad, the PSUs you tried may be bad or the motherboard may be bad.

I'd test each and every component in another computer to verify that they work. If you can't do that, then it's going to be nearly impossible to narrow things down.