weenaboy

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
Hey guys I'm havin some issues with my ABIT AN8-V. At least I think that's what the problem is. Well anyway, I just turned on my PC and after the initial screen where you press DEL to enter the BIOS, the screen went black and nothing happened. The computer was still on and so was the monitor, so there was still a signal to my monitor.

After a few more tries I cleared the CMOS and turned on the comp, same problem. I noted the POST codes. If I just turn on the comp and let it try and boot, it gets to this point and stops: 7F. According to the manual this means:

'Switch back to text mode if full screen logo is supported
-If errors occur, report errors & wait for keys
-If no errors occur or F1 key is pressed to continue: Clear EPA or customization logo.'

Having no idea what to do, I waited a while and then pressed F1. After a few more POST code changes it arrives at 'FF'. Which means:

'Boot attempt (INT 19h)'

So I reset the CMOS again, and try to enter the BIOS. Nothing happens and I end up with a POST code of '2.9.' The manual doesn't list 2.9. but it does have a 29, which says:

'1. Program CPU internal MTRR (P6 & PII) for 0-640k memory address.
2. Initialize the APIC for Pentium class CPU.
3. Program early chipset according to CMOS setup. Example: onboard IDE controller.
4. Measure CPU speed.'

So now my comp won't turn on or enter BIOS, and I'm thinking maybe the mobo is dead. My specs are as follows:

Athlon64 3000 Venice skt939
ABIT AN8-V
2x512 GEIL Value
GeCube X800XL
80GB Seagate Barracuda
Antec TruePower 2.0 480w
Creative X-Fi Xtrememusic

Someone please help, what should I do? What's wrong? Do I have to get a new mobo... and therefore a new system? Thanks.

BUFF

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2003
The 7F that you got imo was probably a keyboard error or similar & the FF means that it got all the way through it's checks 7 was looking for something to boot from.

That to me suggests that the mobo was fine & I would be looking for something else.
I would probably start by going back to a very basic system & building up.

TRENDING THREADS