Aug 3, 2020
HI, my computer recently stoped turning on
before it died it would randomly shut down but the led on my front panel would stay on. i would fix it by unplugging the 4pin cpu connector, it wouldn’t turn back on unless i did that. i have done the paper clip test on my psu and the fan would spin for as long as i had it on for. also the 4 pin cpu connector on my mb is half burnt. i’m wondering if i should buy a new mother board or psu what would be the problem?

rreyes0051

Commendable
May 15, 2018
it appears that your burnt cpu connector is the problem. the cpu might be drawing too much power to cause the cable to burn and the burnt portion of the connector might be causing a short which would explain the random shutdowns you experienced. what psu do you have? if its a semi or full modular one you can just replace the 4 pin connector otherwise you might need a new psu. depending on the damage on the cable you might be able to just cut the burnt portion and solder new wires to it.

Aug 3, 2020
it appears that your burnt cpu connector is the problem. the cpu might be drawing too much power to cause the cable to burn and the burnt portion of the connector might be causing a short which would explain the random shutdowns you experienced. what psu do you have? if its a semi or full modular one you can just replace the 4 pin connector otherwise you might need a new psu. depending on the damage on the cable you might be able to just cut the burnt portion and solder new wires to it.
i mean the part where it plugs in is burnt. my bad i worded it wrong. the motherboard is burnt where the cpu cable plugs in, the plastic around the 4 holes where it goes into

rreyes0051

Commendable
May 15, 2018
i mean the part where it plugs in is burnt. my bad i worded it wrong. the motherboard is burnt where the cpu cable plugs in, the plastic around the 4 holes where it goes into
as long as the pins in the plastic are still intact you can salvage it and not have to replace your motherboard. you can try to adapt some wires to it as shown here.

Aug 3, 2020
as long as the pins in the plastic are still intact you can salvage it and not have to replace your motherboard. you can try to adapt some wires to it as shown here.
it’s actually does have full contact when it’s plugged in but still no power... do you think maybe i had a short in my motherboard. cuz i would plug the 4pin connector in and out multiple times... when it would random shut off. i read that doing that can cause a short. please let me know it’s stressing me out lol i don’t wanna buy a new part and find out that that wasn’t the problem

rreyes0051

Commendable
May 15, 2018
it’s actually does have full contact when it’s plugged in but still no power... do you think maybe i had a short in my motherboard. cuz i would plug the 4pin connector in and out multiple times... when it would random shut off. i read that doing that can cause a short. please let me know it’s stressing me out lol i don’t wanna buy a new part and find out that that wasn’t the problem
yes, unplugging the cable like that repeatedly causes a short in the system. do you have another cpu or 4 pin connector to try and boot? by any chance was your cpu overclocked when this happened?

Aug 3, 2020
yes, unplugging the cable like that repeatedly causes a short in the system. do you have another cpu or 4 pin connector to try and boot? by any chance was your cpu overclocked when this happened?
yes my cpu was oc. and yes i tryed to use the 4 slots of the eight pin cable from my psu that is used for my gpu and still no power

Aug 3, 2020
no... no lights are on and neither are the hard drives. but the motherboard light is on. also when i did the paper clip test the hard drives were still plugged into my psu and they tuned on. and idk if you seen but i also said that the bottom right of my motherboard gets really hot when its all plugged in and i try to turn it on, idk if that has anything to do with it but that also happens..

Aug 3, 2020
can you try it with just a 4-pin connector? when you try to boot, can you hear the hard drive, or get any lights to turn on?
no... no lights are on and neither are the hard drives. but the motherboard light is on. also when i did the paper clip test the hard drives were still plugged into my psu and they tuned on. and idk if you seen but i also said that the bottom right of my motherboard gets really hot when its all plugged in and i try to turn it on, idk if that has anything to do with it but that also happens..