Question Dead Pc

Dec 15, 2020
So 2 days ago I installed a custom liquid loop in my Pc and I ran the pc all day yesterday. Today I wake up and find my pc completely dead. I proceed to check all of the regular issues such as leaks, ram , and psu. By testing the psu I found that it still works with my testing cable. I found through my testing that my computer would work just for a second if I unplugged and replugged in my 24 pin mobo connector, this has stopped working. I'm clueless as I have never had this computer die on me.

Does anybody have any clue what could be causing my pc to not turn on?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The seemingly obvious culprit here would be a leak that you weren't/aren't aware of.

Do you have another system you can use to test components?

I have heard Jay (2 cents) talking about issues caused by tightening the water block too much....

Would probably bread board it sans the water cooling and see if you get any results.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Dec 15, 2020
At the moment I do not have another psu on hand to use. Although I do think there could be an issue with it, I find it odd that my entire board powers up for about 1 second before turning off when I replugg in the 24 pin. Is there any chance the board power connector could be the problem. The psu also works when I plug the fake mobo connector for testing out loop. My fluid is also a bright opaque color so I would assume that I would see a leak.

Jan 15, 2021
The thing when you mention the mobo turns on just for a second after reconnecting it to the psu kinda suggest me some of the short circuit fail safe is in motion...

It would suggest leakage occurred but then again you said it should be visible... Either way it could be mobo or psu... If the psu was underpowered, it should work normal once you took everything as it was, without liquid cooling. If psu suffered hardware fault it wouldn't work with loop test I guess, so it leaves mobo in some kind of state.

Only way to get some other psu to eliminate yours for certain which would definitely point finger to mobo...

Dec 15, 2020
Is there any way to repair or reset mobo? I just removed water block and found no leakage. The only time I can think of is yesterday morning when a few drops of distilled water got on the board, I dried it and then ran the pc for the entire day without issue. Could that be causing the problem even tho I dried it and ran they system without issue?

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2021
The only time I can think of is yesterday morning when a few drops of distilled water got on the board, I dried it and then ran the pc for the entire day without issue. Could that be causing the problem even tho I dried it and ran they system without issue?

Distilled water is kinda harmless cause it's almost no conductive...

Really bugs me, I just don't see why everything was working well while it's was working, but didn't start again.

Maybe some freak coincidence that it isn't related to liquid cooling at all.

Dec 15, 2020
Distilled water is kinda harmless cause it's almost no conductive...

Really bugs me, I just don't see why everything was working well while it's was working, but didn't start again.

Maybe some freak coincidence that it isn't related to liquid cooling at all.
I'm thinking I must have touched the mobo the wrong way. I'm still clueless why it worked an broke while it was off.

Jan 15, 2021
I don't know... Anything is speculation... Did you ground yourself before touching mobo?

In theory it's possible to produce static discharge and damage integrated circuit but that's really longshot because in reality it's not that sensitive to handle a mobo like it's part of some crucial rocket module...

As I see it, the best bet is to take your mobo to service, maybe it's not something too serious.

Dec 15, 2020
I don't know... Anything is speculation... Did you ground yourself before touching mobo?

In theory it's possible to produce static discharge and damage integrated circuit but that's really longshot because in reality it's not that sensitive to handle a mobo like it's part of some crucial rocket module...

As I see it, the best bet is to take your mobo to service, maybe it's not something too serious.
Could flash bios help if there is an issue in the bios settings, is there also the chance that my case is the problem as power on and off aren't working?

Jan 15, 2021
You could try clearing cmos by removing mobo battery which would reset bios to default, but slim chance that will make the difference.

As for the case, I don't know why power switch would be a problem.
Did you do something with case connectors on the front panel?

Dec 15, 2020
You could try clearing cmos by removing mobo battery which would reset bios to default, but slim chance that will make the difference.

As for the case, I don't know why power switch would be a problem.
Did you do something with case connectors on the front panel?
I squished my radiator against the front panel. I don't think that's the issue as I tried another front panel with the mobo

Dec 15, 2020
I squished my radiator against the front panel. I don't think that's the issue as I tried another front panel with the mobo. I'm really at wits end because I'm honestly clueless about the real problem aside from the fact that it's either psu or mobo, im gonna experiment in the next few days to see if I can fix it.

TRENDING THREADS