Question Dead pc

guya2209

Honorable
Jul 9, 2016
My pc isn’t working and I’m at a loss of what to do next. It was working fine Thursday night, I went to bed and the next morning the screens wouldn’t come on. I restarted the pc and then I had the white vga light on the motherboard and black screens but I could hear that the system booted as I heard the tone through the speakers when it gets to windows login screen.

I have tried a new gpu to no avail. I tried to clear cmos and then it would no longer boot (still black screens). Now when I power on the system it will just loop through post displaying the different lights on the mobo and it won’t stop on any hymn thing at all.

specs below: (based off memory so forgive me if it’s not perfe
Mobo: asus rog strix x570-e gaming
Cpu: ryzen 9 3900x
Gpu: gigabyte 2080 super (have brand new msi 3070ti also)
Psu: seasonic prime titanium 1000w
Primary Storage: Samsung 970 pro m.2 512gb

any advice of where to go next would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

guya2209

Honorable
Jul 9, 2016
CPU extremely unlikely.

Do you have any spare parts to swap in....power supply maybe?

Motherboard quite possibly an issue.

Only spare part is the gpu. I’m trying to work out what to buy next to try.

End of the day it doesn’t matter if I buy a whole new system worth of parts as I need to build a new pc for my wife so any part I buy that I ultimately don’t need will go towards that. I just don’t have the money to get it all at once.

guya2209

Honorable
Jul 9, 2016
CPU extremely unlikely.

Do you have any spare parts to swap in....power supply maybe?

Motherboard quite possibly an issue.

I’d be very surprised and disappointed if it was the psu. I’m only 3 years into a 12 year warranty period with it. All the fans power up fine including the gpu fans. The 2080 has lights for the pcie power connections that turn on if they are not being supplied too. I know stranger things have happened though.

Could be the case. Friend of mine today was troubleshooting a system today and it appears a 1000 watt EVGA supernova power supply that is only about a year old was having issues and may have fried a 3080. Apparently the person thought the 3080 was bad at the time and ran a 3060 for a while instead. But recently decided to get a 4070ti and started having issues as well.

guya2209

Honorable
Jul 9, 2016
Ok finally got it running again. Ended up replacing motherboard and cpu but I believe the cpu was the culprit based on testing.

I initially tried the old cpu in the new motherboard and I had the same white vga light on issue, black screens, windows booted in background (I heard the sounds when it reaches the login screen). I then swapped out the cpu with the new one and worked straight away.

I still really find it weird though, I’ve never known a cpu to have issues but still boot into windows. Oh well ended up with an upgraded pc and have some spare parts for the wife’s pc

TRENDING THREADS