Question Dead pixels vs backlight bleed

Jun 17, 2019
I recently bought Asus Rog PG279Q and it came with a dead pixel. It is not right in center but neither in a corner, so I was pretty bummed at first but after complete check I found out it has absolutely zero backlight bleed, which is, apparently, very common on IPS panel.
Do you think I should push the retailer for new monitor or is this one from the "better bunch"?

I don't really care about the dead pixel, though I'm scared that if it came with already dead pixel there will be more in near future.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
How many dead pixels are we talking? If it is just one, it is by all standards fully functional and they may not bother switching it out.

IPS Glow is common with IPS panels, and is normal. Usually a blue glow at the corners or edges.
Backlight Bleed looks a lot like IPS glow, but is not uniform and can have glows or discolorations that aren't blue, bright spots, etc. Very common in the early PG279Q, they pushed everything out the door to fill demand.
Dead Pixels
Have you lost an RGB pixel, or just a single sub-pixel?

Even a whole pixel would amount to less than .01 percent of the display. 99.99% and 99.97% are the two common manufacturer limits for warranty return for dead pixels.

Jun 17, 2019
How many dead pixels are we talking? If it is just one, it is by all standards fully functional and they may not bother switching it out.

IPS Glow is common with IPS panels, and is normal. Usually a blue glow at the corners or edges.
Backlight Bleed looks a lot like IPS glow, but is not uniform and can have glows or discolorations that aren't blue, bright spots, etc. Very common in the early PG279Q, they pushed everything out the door to fill demand.
Dead Pixels
Have you lost an RGB pixel, or just a single sub-pixel?

Even a whole pixel would amount to less than .01 percent of the display. 99.99% and 99.97% are the two common manufacturer limits for warranty return for dead pixels.

It is one (singular) pixel, which is black in every scenario (I was using dead pixels tester), and the retailer I bought it from is known for accepting almost any kind of refund, so I'm not worried about it not being refundable ( I know Asus has 5 or more dead pixels policy).

I am aware of an IPS glow and I'm totally fine with that (I did my research before buying), I just need an answer if my monitor with 1 dead pixel and no backlightbleed is worth refunding or if it's from the higher spectrum of this specific type of monitors, quality wise.

But if backlightbleed is really as common as you say in this particular monitor, I feel like I got really lucky, so I will probably just deal with the dead pixel.