dredg98

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
My power supply died last week it was a generic one basic gaming pc worked great for 2 years i was on computer and it froze i pressed the reset button didnt work held the power button till it shuts off it didnt tried the power button one more time didnt work so i turned off the computer with the power supply button computer reboots but it has no video feed everything looks like it works video card and cpu fan work lights on motherboard are on hdd spinning but no video turned the computer off from psu again and then it died Question is Do you think the generic psu killed my computer parts? Thanks again sorry its so long been without a gaming computer for awhile i need to game lol

Solution
650 watts is more then enough power you could run that system on 500 watt PSU. A leaking cap is definitely no good you will just have to cross your fingers and hope that it didn't fry anything when it went.
Well some of those cheap PSU's have been known to take out components when they die but the only way to know for sure is to replace it. Don't skimp on your PSU it is the most important component in a computer.

Antec, Corsair, Seasonic are just a few of very well built quality power supplies.

Give a us your full specs and we can suggest what PSU would fit your needs.

dredg98

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
sure I have a Asrock 780gxe/128m 2gb stick ddr2 800 corsair 2x1gb ocz ddr2 800 seatgate 500gb 7200.12 xfx radeon 4870 1gb, amd 64 x2 5000+ (being replaced by Amd Phenom x4 955 125w cpu tomorrow. Also bought a 650w Corsair Power supply if it did kill computer parts ill be buying ram and motherboard this next paycheck. Please give me all advice you think i should know. im not a hardcore game i will play a tiny bit of crysis ill be playing diablo 3 and starcraft some left 4 dead ect... Please help!