Question Dead PSU (i think)

Dec 3, 2019
Hi guys. My Force 650w PSU (Yeap i know it's dirt cheap) was buzzing the last few days whenever i was gaming. Today i was playing some stalker (pretty old game and not too demanding) when the system suddenly stopped working. I could hear some short of noise coming from there case.it was like a low hum. The fans on the entirety case had stopped working and the led light on the GPU was also turned off. The only thing with some life left in it was the RGB lighting in the mobo. I immediately closed the power supply from the button behind and fearing for the worst bend down and sniffed the PSU for any plastic or burned smell. Nothing. It wasn't even all that warm. Immediately removed the GPU to check if it was ok and sniffed to find any burning odors or something. Again nothing. Tried to turn the system on without the GPU but it won't start. Not even a single sound when I press the Power button. The only thing that flashes for a split second is the RGB in the mobo when i turn on the PSU. My question is do you think the PSU failed but without any burning or smoke or something? Or it is another component that failed?
Also my biggest worry is if Indeed the PSU failed, what are the odds of it damaging any other component in my system?
The entire system isn't even two months old and the GPU ffs was bought on Friday.

Specs (alive i hope)
Ryzen 5 3400g
Gigabyte aorus b450 m rev 1.0
Sapphire Rx 580 nitro+ 8gb
Cooler master CMP 500
Gskill ripjaws 16gb 3200mhz
Force 650w
Samsung SSD m.2 250gb (i think the 860)

Thanks guys in advance.

You are correct to worry about a bad PSU damaging other components. The rest of your system looks fine. That PSU stands out like a sore thumb. Replace it and don't look back. Recommendations available upon request. Just state your location and budget.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019
Thanks for the replies guys. I just hope nothing else was damaged especially the GPU since it is just 3 days old. I'm in Greece my budget for a new PSU is about 80 Euros.

Dec 3, 2019
Quick update for anyone that might find this interesting or has had the same problem recently. Swapped that garbage PSU with the one being suggested to me the most. Corsair TX650M. All the components seem to be ok. Computer runs like a dream (much less noise than before somehow). Learned my lesson the hard way with all the stress i've been through (although admittedly not the hardest way possible). Thanks for all your help guys!

PS. DON'T CHEAP OUT ON YOUR PSU!