[SOLVED] Dead PSU?

May 22, 2022
PC Specs:
PSU: EVGA 600W
MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3060 XC
RAM: Corsair DDR4 16gb
3 weeks ago my computer shut off when I was not watching. When I tried to turn it back on, the mobo light flashed red for .5 sec and then nothing. I assumed it was the mobo dead, but i wanted to make sure so i took it to microcenter and with testing, they confirmed that the mobo had died. I RMA’d the board and when I finally got the new one back, I put my PC back together. Unfortunately the same red flicker came up on the new board and it wont turn on. Very frustrating. Could the issue be my PSU killing the boards? And is there a chance that it killed other components. I appreciate any feedback as this has been extremely stressful.

Solution
It's 600w Evga. BR, GD, BQ, W, N. Bottom of the barrel. Granted, that bottom is generally higher than many white/bronze units, but still not great and definitely doesn't go well with a 3000 series gpu and their transient load spikes and issues.

Microcenter would not have used the same psu to test the original mobo, just to rule out a possible source.

If you unplug the psu from everything and the paperclip won't turn it on after flipping the switch in the rear off/on, it's guaranteed a psu issue. If the psu turns on, but won't hold a load on the motherboard, it could be either, there's always the possibility of shorts in the wiring or motherboard touching the case etc causing the psu issues.

I'd suggest pulling the motherboard out...
May 22, 2022
Since microcenter is nearby let them test with another psu as well. Or if you have another way to test with a psu is that fine as well.
Thanks for the response. I went ahead and tried the papetclip test on my psu. The fan started spinning but inly for about 5 seconds. Does that mean the psu is working and safe?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's 600w Evga. BR, GD, BQ, W, N. Bottom of the barrel. Granted, that bottom is generally higher than many white/bronze units, but still not great and definitely doesn't go well with a 3000 series gpu and their transient load spikes and issues.

Microcenter would not have used the same psu to test the original mobo, just to rule out a possible source.

If you unplug the psu from everything and the paperclip won't turn it on after flipping the switch in the rear off/on, it's guaranteed a psu issue. If the psu turns on, but won't hold a load on the motherboard, it could be either, there's always the possibility of shorts in the wiring or motherboard touching the case etc causing the psu issues.

I'd suggest pulling the motherboard out, using only 1 stick of ram in A2, cpu, cpu cooler and 2x power connections. Nothing else, no monitor, no drives, nothing. If it holds a post, can start adding one component at a time, reboot until it doesn't.
If it fails at the start with minimal connections, it's that ram stick, the motherboard, cpu or the psu.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Actually I'd say more wattage lol. There aren't any really decent ATX 600w psus, moving upto a 650w would be a good move, that and 550w have the widest selection of decent - excellent psus at the best prices. You can often get a Corsair RMx 650w at better prices than other 550w class good psus.