[SOLVED] Dead RAM/RAM Slot? Blue Screen on Boot

Hazzahead

Reputable
Apr 22, 2019
I recently decided to add another 8GB (2x 4GB) of RAM to my PC, so now it had a total of 16GB 2400MHz (16-16-16-36). When I did this, I got a black screen, so I reseated the RAM. This time I didn't get a black screen, but a blue error screen. I restarted once more and got a blue screen again. So then I took one of the RAM sticks out and it worked just fine. So I paid for 8GB of RAM but can only used 4GB. Nice.

Solution
Optimal course of action would be getting 2x8GB ram kit. That's the only way to avoid possible compatibility problems from mixing multiple ram kits.

I'm not saying mixing of 2 ram kits would not work. It just may require more advanced tinkering with ram settings in BIOS (lowering frequency, increasing latency timings and DDR voltage). But sometimes it doesn't work, no matter, what you try.

There can be some other possible problems also:
one of your ram modules may be DOA,​
one of ram slots on your motherboard may be non-operational (bent cpu pins).​

TLDR:
If you want simple plug-and-play experience, then get 2x8GB ram kit.
Optimal course of action would be getting 2x8GB ram kit. That's the only way to avoid possible compatibility problems from mixing multiple ram kits.

I'm not saying mixing of 2 ram kits would not work. It just may require more advanced tinkering with ram settings in BIOS (lowering frequency, increasing latency timings and DDR voltage). But sometimes it doesn't work, no matter, what you try.

TLDR:

Solution
Memory is guaranteed in the form sold. The kind of combination you attempted to make have no guarantee to be compatible together.

If you choose to combine memory that has never been tested together before, don't act so surprised that it does not work the way you expected.

Hazzahead

Reputable
Apr 22, 2019

TLDR:
After hours of testing and swapping around the modules, I found that one of the two sticks was DOA. Tomorrow I am going to take both of them back and ask for new ones.
Also, the four 4GB sticks should work together because they are all 2400MHz, all have the same timing (16-16-16-36), and all have the same voltage (1.2V).
Thanks for the detailed reply :)