Question Dead RX 480 Gigabite 8GB -- no display and fans at 100% ?

Kimjz

Prominent
Jul 15, 2019
Hello there,
I would like to try to use the help of the big internet to get my GPU running.

Problem: PC turned off by itself. Since then, when GPU is inserted GPU fans go full speed without no display. I tried different combinations and I know it's GPU.
Also, I tried the combination with integrated GPU in the motherboard and it booted using motherboard output rather than GPU (both outputs connected).
Since the GPU seems to not trip short protection on the PSU, I think it's something like a dead component.

Opened the GPU and tried to measure resistances for shorts and there seem to be no shorts (I could be wrong, I gave it like a week of studying what to measure and how but my skill is more like beginner).

Turned pc and tried to measure Voltages, Vcore -none V-mem -none but 12V and PCIe are good.
I found one strange thing on the Doublers (not sure if it's what it is) from the back of the card where two bottom caps give 1,1V rather than 12,6V (like rest).
I am adding a photo of the card PCB and measurements I have done.

Thanks.
Matthew
edit: on front side is scheme for 8pin, 12V rails are 3 on top not or bottom.

photos of the measurements and GPU PCB.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h2-hhhR03J8dJTb4VGOHODiJsyk5BO7t/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KSYBlm48wp3Ic4oeXSXdt_SRa5HaY3UK/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Out of curiosity, what PSU did you use to power the system(and the card with)? Are you still trying to power said GPU with the prior PSU that seemingly had the entire system shut off? If so, then the problem is not your GPU, it's your PSU and the lack thereof of power for the entire system.

Kimjz

Prominent
Jul 15, 2019
Out of curiosity, what PSU did you use to power the system(and the card with)? Are you still trying to power said GPU with the prior PSU that seemingly had the entire system shut off? If so, then the problem is not your GPU, it's your PSU and the lack thereof of power for the entire system.
hello , wow, thats a good point there, i used Enermax Naxn 500 (with peak 550W) . To be honest i didn't try runing it on differentPSU, but i have ran 5600xt for almost a year on this PSU after RX480 broke.
do you still think that it is possible that the PSU is cause of this ? TY.
BTW i have Ryzen 1600 to pair with it.