Dead Space: Performance Analyzed

Status
Not open for further replies.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Interesting article.

Deadspace does seem like a decent game, but it was too much for me.
Tried sitting down to play it a few times, but I just couldn't take it.

And yeah, the game can play on some junk hardware.
800x600 res, minimum settings.

First time I saw one of those creatures, I just wasted ammo. WTF WAS THAT!?!?!
Pentium D 2.8GHz, 1GB DDR2 533, Nvidia 7500LE 256MB.
It played. Average framerate was bad, but the minimums were kinda bad, yet still possible.

Nice to see what I may be able to crank it up to now with my 4670, though a couple gigs of ddr2 800 will be a nice bonus if I find the will to spend my rent money...

microdots

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
9600gt plays this game great
awesome game regardless tho. everything is very well done, its easy to tell that the developers took great time in perfecting every portion in the levels and environment. as from what i remember it defiantly lived up to its hype. i still haven't beaten it either along with being super cool its also pretty difficult but totally worth the money; a true gaming experience.

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I don't blame you for being scared to try this game out...its really something else ^_^ Very well made game in my opinion

Roffey123

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2008
It was the soundscape in the game that got me, I'm used to the monsters and such, but the ambience really got to me - so I never really got far. Perhaps I should summon the courage up for it again.

cinergy

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
So you have your nvidia optimized game reviewed now (and of course not showing ATI driver version used, which is probably old). Fine. Next time you could put directx 10.1 exclusive game and show how badly nvidia performs there. And no old drivers trick this time!

roorunner

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2005
Thank you for the article. Reading it and following your links, I found my favorite game of all time supports this! And I am glad I have Nvidia graphic cards! Tonight - updating the drivers and taking the game for a testdrive! Thanks!!!!

Lans

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
cinergy, I don't disagree with you on the Nvidia bias or DX10.1 . :)

Being an AMD/ATI fan myself, you are inherently favor one vendor (Nvidia) over another (ATI) when you have exclusives on features that not all vendors support. Still, it was informative to me and it is not the reviewer's fault that not all vendor support said feature.

As far as I know, this site is not among the few that had an in-depth look at Assassin's Creed and DX10.1 mess. Now with DX11 looming, maybe we'll finally see a DX10.1 review in form DX11 preview? :)

I guess you can call the selection of which features to cover and which not to cover clear favoring Nvidia at the moment...

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
It's nice to do performance analysis for games, but it'll be nicer if its done soon after their release, I finished this game twice (one @1280x1024 and the other @1920x1080) before this article!
Nevertheless, keep up the good work.

nerdherd

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I think this is a great article. I would LOVE to see an article done like this for more major game releases closer to their actual release date! Maybe even a few days before the game gets officially released? That would be awesome.

Poor little 4650. I played this game on high with one 3850 at 1680x1050. Anyway this article is a little late, but better late than never. Dead space is an awesome game. It seems like NVIDIAs new AO option doesn't really do much for it.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]daft[/nom]considering that the game was released back in october.....[/citation]

Aha, but in October Nvidia's new AO feature wasn't here, now was it? Read the first page of the article.

As far as thwe next game, I'm gunning for Red Faction: Guerilla

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]Lans[/nom]cinergy, I don't disagree with you on the Nvidia bias or DX10.1 . Being an AMD/ATI fan myself, you are inherently favor one vendor (Nvidia) over another (ATI) when you have exclusives on features that not all vendors support. [/citation]

See, I *do* disagree with you guys. There is no Nvidia BIAS here, I simply wanted to see what their new feature can do. And if it turned out to be good, it's exposure and reviews like this that can spurn AMD to looking at including such a feature themselves.

Also guys - if there was a bias, wouldn't I have been screaming from the rooftops that it was the best thing sincle sliced bread? I'm pretty sure I let folks know the feature was best left off unless you happened to have a graphics card that could handle it easily.

DirectX 10.1... now, that's a great feature, but I'm waiting for a new, killer title to exploit it. Tom Clancy's HAWX shows a great improvement with Dx10.1, the visuals are awesome. The problem is that the game sucks, so I'm not going to waste time on an in-depth analysis of something I wouldn't recommend. Assasin's Creed, well, I missed the boat on that one because this series is relatively new, but I'm hoping Assasin's Creed II will give give us another chance.

Similarly, Nvidia is trying to tell everyone how great PhysX is, and I keep reminding everyone it's a useless feature in 99% of the games it's been included in. Mirror's Edge would be the closest thing to a must-have title for that feature, but with PhysX looking to be included in future DirectX APIs when physis becomes more mainstream, I'm not sure Nvidia will have any lasting advantage there. Too far ahead of the curve.

As for CUDA... mreh. Still haven't seen anything that makes me say "wow".

jwl3

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2008
How appropriate. I just downloaded the game last week and started playing. Despite all the positive reviews, the game doesn't draw me in for the following reasons:

1) the controls suck. I cannot even assign my usual arrow key buttons to movement what the f?

2)It takes me two button presses to get my weapon out. Why? Why? Why? Why can't I just use my left mouse button to fire? Why must I bring up the rig and then fire? And forget about changing weapons. You literally have to put your weapon down, change weapons, click ok, bring new weapon up, and fire. Are you effing kidding me???

3) the third person perspective is awful. Not only is it nauseating, the fun of FPS's is that you feel like you're the person in the game.

4) The zero-gravity sites are annoying. I'm relieved when those parts of the game are over - they're tedious as all heck.

5) Again with the controls, you'd think using a health pack was easy, Nope. Open inventory, select health pack, select use, close inventory. Wow.

I can't count the number of times I've had to reload the level cause I couldn't switch to the appropriate weapon in time. Get a freaking clue EA. I used to be a huge fan of EA, buying 10 of their games each year. Until they screwed PC users by canceling all the EA sports games for the PC. I swore from that point on that I wouldn't buy another EA game (produced or distributed or whatever). I'm glad I didn't buy this POS game.

cinergy

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Lans[/nom]... clip ...
Still, it was informative to me and it is not the reviewer's fault that not all vendor support said feature. Now with DX11 looming, maybe we'll finally see a DX10.1 review in form DX11 preview? I guess you can call the selection of which features to cover and which not to cover clear favoring Nvidia at the moment...[/citation]

thanks, I expected some seriously hostile responses.

It was informative but they should have left ATI cards completely out of the equation if they review something specific. 90% people just look at the bar graphs and draw simple conclusions.

I believe nvidia will pressure game developers not to use dx11 until they have their own implementation ready. Look what happened to dx10.1. Only a few titles more than a year after launch. But Windows 7 should make some use of it at least.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]cinergy[/nom]So you have your nvidia optimized game reviewed now (and of course not showing ATI driver version used, which is probably old). Fine. Next time you could put directx 10.1 exclusive game and show how badly nvidia performs there. And no old drivers trick this time![/citation]

Didn't use old drivers, I used the Cat 9.5s actually. I updated the system specs, thanks for the heads up.

I don't know why you're taking the ATI performance personally. Some games ATI wins, some Nvidia wins. That's the deal.

In the last game I reviewed - Burnout Paradise - Ati slaughtered Nvidia when the AO feature was enabled.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]cinergy[/nom]It was informative but they should have left ATI cards completely out of the equation if they review something specific. [/citation]

This is a Dead Space performance analysis, and the last time I checked, Ati cards ran Dead Space just fine.

Are you suggesting that I only write performance analysis reviews of games that only ATI cards excel at?

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Honestly, this review *is* Biased. What would have been much better would be to compare Nvidia's AC method to the DX10.1 Global Illumination.

AC actually isnt a new technology, as it's only a pixel shader. And after all the "besides the point"'s, ATI is also capable of this technology. Infact, it's used extensively on FireGL enabled programs.

Next Article: Nvidia's ambient occlusion VS ATI's Global Illumination. Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.