Dead Thermaltake D5 pump

Sero3

Prominent
May 30, 2017
Allow me to apologize that I didn't test the pump in a separate loop, since I have no such materials to make one.

This pump I've been using is a year-old, or 11-month-old actually. I bought it last summer and used it in my old system.

I was having trouble with the old system due to the coolant, thermaltake coolant sucks, everyone knows it, but since it's the only company available that has reseller near my house (like two or three miles away) I fell into the trap.

The coolant in the old system gunk up all the components, and I decided to reuse only the CPU block and the pump.

Pump checking:

I didn't disassemble the pump's internal components, I only disconnected it from the reservoir and checked that there's no gunk building up in the pump.

I did see gunk in CPU block but it didn't cause any issue within the 4 months in the new system.

I connected the Molex female port to a fan and it worked.

The pump has entirely no water flow indication (as I only know the pump failed me when the system had several thermal shutdown.

Before the pump was "dead", I had 3 thermal shutdown, and fixed by disconnecting and reconnecting the Molex connector.

The pump started not working after I shutdown the PC last night.

I WAS opening the air conditioner so the pump might be already died last night.

PC Specs:

(New: 4 months old)
(Old: 11 months old)

Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 Motherboard (NEW)
Ryzen 7 1700x @ 3.9GHz (tweaked to 3.8 after the first thermal shutdown) (NEW)
Corsair Dominator Platinum 4x16Gb 3000Mhz DDR4 Ram (NEW)
2 x Zotac Geforce GTX 1070 FE SLI (1 New 1 Old)
EVGA 1000 G3 Power Supply (NEW)
2 x Toshiba 2TB HDD (OLD)
5 x Corsair ML 120 Pro White LED Fans (NEW)
Thermaltake RL360 Rad (New)
Thermaltake W3 Waterblock (Old)
Thermaltake PR22-D5 Reservoir/Pump Combo (Old)

The two old thermaltake components are from the RL240 Hard line tubing kit, and is currently still using the same tubing.

Coolant:
Thermaltake Opaque C1000 (Red) (OLD)
Thermaltake Transparent C1000 (Blue) (NEW)

Both of them have signs of turning into a yellowish color with extremely smelly scent.

The old system was running 6800k but I didn't overclock it. It's now part of my server PC which is the one I'm using at the moment to type this post.

The PC was running 20 hours average per day, and in case it didn't shutdown manually I've set a script to make it shutdown everytime the PC is up for 20 hours or more.

P.S. I'm in emergency, please forgive my stupidity for not disassembling the whole PC for a check cuz my case is Tower 900 White edition, the only one available in my place at the moment I bought it. It would take me days to actually move the PC from my desk to my workbench that I used to do computer stuff. I've never had a problem like this when I build PCs for others using the D5 pump of other brands with soft tubing.

Sero3

Prominent
May 30, 2017
Sorry forgot to post the loop:

Pump -> Rad -> CPU -> Return to Pump

It was a configuration error that the Rad and CPU swapped place but I have no more tubes so I gotta stay with it.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

Very long confusing post, a very quick and easy way to test the pump, is simply remove the pump and res together so you just have the combo, get a piece of pipe and connect it from the outlet on the pump to the inlet on the pump, now fill up the res and see if it moves any water, if your CPU block is gunked up, that could be the cause, or it could be the radiator, the lines in the radiator are very easy to get gunked up, or maybe even the small tube between the res and pump, there could be a blockage anywhere stopping fluid from flowing.

You do know that you dont need to use pre-mixed fluid right ? you can just used distilled water.

Sero3

Prominent
May 30, 2017

But unfortunately I can't, this PC is mainly a showcase PC and I have to use colored coolants.

I didn't pick the whole combo out of the system but what I did is I unplugged all cables but the molex one from power supply, made absolutely no sound when powered.

I borrowed my neighbor's general use water pump and tested with distilled water, CPU block thou it's gunked a bit, the water is still able to flow. Rad has absolutely no problem, lots of water coming out from pump.