Dead USB ports on Asus P5B.

yamper

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
I think it's time to upgrade my Asus P5B Mobo.

About 6 months ago the USB ports started to die; I'm now at a point where only one USB port works. I currently have everything plugged in to a 4-port hub which, as I'm sure you can imagine, is not an ideal solution.

Can anybody suggest a replacement that would be more suited to my components? I use my computer mainly for games and digital art. Any help is appreciated.

CPU - E6600
RAM - 2Gb
GPU - XFX 8800GT
Sound - Creative Audigy 2
HDD - 3x SATA (160Gb, 2x 300Gb)
DVD R\W - 1 IDE, 1 SATA
USB devices - Keyboard, mouse, printer, scanner, wacom tablet, modem, webcam, joystick, flight yoke and rudder pedals, steering wheel, camera, mp3 player, probably some other stuff I can't think of right now.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
Well you could buy a USB 2.0 PCI card to have more ports, that's the cheapest solution.

Else almost any P35 board would do. Most brands would do, just not extreme cheap-a$$ brands such as ECS, emaxx, asrock (it's a good-enough brand but questionable when it comes to OC and long-term usage), and other unknown brands. Well known brands include Evga, Asus, Gigabyte, Abit, DFI and MSI. Others could answer what specific model is good, since I haven't upgraded my pc yet.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
How old the MB?
Can you RMA it or is it like every other Asus MB I have used for the past decade...close to 3 years old and ready to drop over dead from bad caps?

If you get a new MB then get a DFI.

yamper

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Thanks for the replies.

The P5B is about 2 - 3 years old. I don't want to go down the RMA route as I need my PC for work, the digital art stuff. To be honest I'd rather not go for another Asus board as they do seem to suffer from a fair amount of problems.

DFI? I've never heard of this make. I took a quick look at their web site; Damn those are ugly looking boards, lol. Don't judge a book by it's cover, right?

I think my choice of board will be narrowed down by the amount of SATA and USB ports. In full work mode I'll need 7 USB ports, printer, scanner, wacom, keybaord, mouse, modem and webcam, (for online chat with editors and writers come deadline). It would be nice to have 6 SATA ports, 4 HDD's, (system, art, music,, large back-up drive) and a DVD R\W. It would also be nice to have a separate dive for video but, I only do a limited amount of video work at present so it's not essential.

There are so many motherboard makes and models it can get a little confusing. Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
DFI is a good brand, I think it's more well known to enthusiasts as I haven't seen a cheap model with DFI's.
You're looking for pretty much a high-end board, only because of the 6 Sata ports that you need. I haven't seen a cheap board with 6 Sata ports.

The ideal starting point now is looking at boards with P35 chipsets, then look at which one has 6 sata ports. That would actually narrow down the choices for P35's pretty quickly. Though some P35's have ATi Crossfire, consider these only as a luxury as you have an nvidia card and sli won't work on xfire.

If you are interested in nvidia SLi then boards with the nvidia 680i chipset are the one. Looking at 680i boards would have narrowed down instantly as this is a high-end chipset and I haven't seen a cheap board based on this. From the last time I knew, the EVGA 680i should be pretty good at this segment.

Maybe you were just unlucky with that specific Asus Board, I would suggest you try again but it's your money and have the actual right to choose what to do with it :D :D :D