[SOLVED] Dead USB Ports

chrislind2

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2013
I have an HP Wave desktop computer and it has 2 USB ports on the back and one in the front. The front one is the only one that will work. I had this computer
completely apart and could find no reason for the failure. Also in device manager it shows that everything is fine. The person who had this computer for many years before me
always had this problem so they just used a quality multiple port USB device. I have the same problem on another computer I have that is in a normal type case and has 4 USB
ports in the front that are dead although the computer makes the noise when you disconnect a device from those ports.

Solution
Faulty or loose USB port are not rare. After years they can break or not work properly.

Had a lot of usb port not working after years on my older systems and saw a lot of systems like that when I was working at a local computer shop.
I have an HP Wave desktop computer and it has 2 USB ports on the back and one in the front. The front one is the only one that will work. I had this computer
completely apart and could find no reason for the failure. Also in device manager it shows that everything is fine. The person who had this computer for many years before me
always had this problem so they just used a quality multiple port USB device. I have the same problem on another computer I have that is in a normal type case and has 4 USB
ports in the front that are dead although the computer makes the noise when you disconnect a device from those ports.
Are they "dead" while in BIOS too ? Did you try some simple USB device like a keyboard ?
Check in BIOS if "legacy mode" for USB ports is enabled, check MB drivers.

chrislind2

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2013
The bios in this computer does not have any choices for USB of any kind. There is basically USB on or off and they are on. I tried the bios settings several times and had a guy who works in the computer industry look at it and he could not figure out anything. It shows the USB connections in the device manager so they should work.

Faulty or loose USB port are not rare. After years they can break or not work properly.

Had a lot of usb port not working after years on my older systems and saw a lot of systems like that when I was working at a local computer shop.

Solution