Question Dead Video Card = Danger for next card (in same motherboard)?

guering

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
Hello. I'll list the sequence of possibly dumb things I've done.

So my PC stopped working. Tried to fire it up but wouldn't give me any sign of power. At first I thought it's the PSU. So I unplug all cables, open the case, remove the video card to clean everything (with a blower and pencil) and try another PSU (without the video at first). It works. So at this point my mind is set that the PSU is the reason.

Then I put the video card back in and turn it on. The video card literally fried. Many smoke and strong smell of dead corpses. Just after that I tried my original PSU in another PC (friend's) and it worked just fine. One thing to note, I didn't plug the power on video card, I've just plug on PCI-e, because the replaced PSU didn't have a 8-pin power (or whatever it is called) that could fit the video power thing. So I'm thinking, it was the video card after all. The PC is working fine with on board graphics, it's a life of Youtube and web browsing for the time being.

I'm getting a new video card, but I'm worried:

1. Maybe this process damaged the PCI-e in my motherboard, and now the new one is in danger of frying up too?

2. In a scale from 0 to 10, how dumb of me was plugging the video card without the power cable? Did it fryed because of that, or the video was already beaten up (considering the PC was dead in the first place). I'm sure the card was dead anyway, but seeing it fry made me think that now other parts might have suffered as well.

3. How can a problematic video card make the whole PC dead? Shouldn't it at least turn on or show some sing of power? I'm still not sure why my PC wouldn't turn on that first time. I remember I was using the PC the whole day doing light stuff (on Youtube and browsing) then when I click this game the whole thing shuts down.

PSU: Corsair TX850
Video Card: EVGA Geforce 980 Ti
MB: ASUS Z77 Sabertooth
Processor: Intel i7 3770k
RAM: 4x8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 2400 or something

Last edited: