Dead Video Card or Power Supply

bphill561

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
So my machine continued to get slower over the course of a month, even having trouble running simple flash games. Starting up Starcraft 2 finally killed it. It would run in safe mode for up to 2 minutes before it would lock up, and each consecutive restart halved that time. It would not even get through start up in normal mode. I also noticed the machine starts beeping while the motherboard is postings that it is starting the video card bios. Long story short, an old old PCI video card ran just fine for the 15 minutes I tested it.

It seems to all point to a video card, but I just wanted to make sure it is not a power supply problem since the GX2 9800 is a power hog. System specs are below.

Cooler Master Stacker 830 - Black
THERMALTAKE Toughpower W0116RU 750W Modular, SLI/Crossfire Capable
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8400 3.5GHZ
Cooler Master RR-CCH-LB12-GP
EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 780i board
OCZ Reaper DDR2-800 4GB (2x2GB) Cas4
OCZ 120GB Agility 2 SSD (OS drive, there are other standard storage HD)
EVGA nVidia GeForce 9800GX2 1GB
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
LG Electronics GGC-H20L LightScribe Blu-ray/HD DVD Combo

bphill561

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
I just went ahead and purchased a new power supply. The amps on the 12V+ rail are low so I would need a newer one anyway to upgrade to a newer card. Video card still does not work and I get the same error. In the meanwhile the old PCI card has been running strong for two weeks now so I have no doubt it is the video card.

On the video card front I think I am screwed. I never registered the card with EVGA (since I bought the entire system from a vendor) so the lifetime warrenty is only 1 year. Next stop is the vendor, I still have 2 weeks left on my 3 year warrenty.

bphill561

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
Thanks for the unhelpful response malmental. I would have tested the card if I or any of my friends had a computer that could handle it.

The system builder is sending a new card, not sure what yet. If not the same card, I hope it is at least GX 460 1GB. I will either pick up a second card or just get GTX580. Either way I probably needed a new power supply. The old one will go back into use with this machine when the upgrade happens later this year.

you bought the pc from the vendor pre built?
if you opend it then the chances are you invalidated the warranty...
a lot of shops use this to make charges on repairs that they should be doing for free.
also the fact you replaced parts means the vendor doesnt have to honor the warranty if they so choose. sorry m8 it looks like this is gonna cost you.

bphill561

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006

Did you at all look at my last post? The vendor is sending me a new card. I have dealt with multiple vendors, not all custom places like Max Force PC, that have told me to take the system apart to test the parts. Hell, last time my parents dell broke and I called support they had me unseat the video card and remove single memory modules to test them. Not all desktop vendors put those little case stickers on anymore to see if you opened the case.

It was worth having them put the machine together. Tomshardware gave them a great review under their old name Solaris computers and they were relatively new. I only paid 10% over Newegg's parts cost to have the whole thing put together and shipped with a 3 year warrenty.