DEAL: Preorder Win 7 for Less Than Half Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Eh. I'll get Ultimate from UT for $7. Anyone close to a big state university... go hit up a college student and get a nice cheap copy.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
You can clean-install with an upgrade disk, it will just require that you insert your full-version of Vista (or XP if were lucky?) to validate that your eligible for the upgrade SKU.

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I be buying one. Might as well move on from XP for $50. It's only $50... and it'll get me the new stuff.

I installed 7 with dual boot on 2 machines and have reverted back to XP though.

G

MS is getting desperate to get people back on the upgrading treadmill.

G

MS is getting desperate to get people back on the upgrading treadmill.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
um, I have a feeling that nobody will buy their copy unless it comes with a new PC, so the price will stay at 49.99 and 99.99 (100 bucks for PRO, come on!)

godsentdeath

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
My question is, will the upgrade cd key be a valid full version cd key. If i was to purchase the upgrade, and use a friends disk to format and install 7, would this work using my upgrade cd key. The point would be to skip the vista install upon format.

tomasf

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
and what abot latin america? the complain about software piracy but they don´t offer us good sotware deals, so how can you espect us to be legit? get real

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
[citation][nom]godsentdeath[/nom]My question is, will the upgrade cd key be a valid full version cd key. If i was to purchase the upgrade, and use a friends disk to format and install 7, would this work using my upgrade cd key. The point would be to skip the vista install upon format.[/citation]

You will not have to install vista to 'upgrade' to win 7, you'll just need the vista disk and/or product key

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I've upgraded my systems enough that I have quite a few computers - so at this point I think it would be cheaper for me to get a MSDN Operating System subscription rather than stay on the upgrade treadmill. That, or go open source for all but one or two systems.

Eggrenade

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
[citation][nom]trkraus[/nom]can i use the windows 7 upgrade to go from OEM vista home premium?[/citation]
More importantly, is it possible to do a clean install? (I have the disk still.)

tweak13

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
I've done clean installs with vista disks, its quite simple.
Eggrenade;
Do an install, chooose to register later.

Install again, but this time enter the serial for registration. It see's the full install but does not care if it was registered or not. But it does let you install since you already have a full version on the harddisk.

I wouldn't be suprised if this could be done with WIN 7 Also.

Enginerd

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
This ($49.99) is the "We're sorry for Vista" Price. Now for all of my friends that keep complaining endlessly about Vista, no matter how many times I tell them that "it is not that bad", I will just tell them to pony up the 50 bucks and "shut up!".

fooldog01

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
I have searched and searched but I just need someone to tell me definitively if Windows 7 will have the 32-bit and 64-bit versions on the same disc or if you will be required to purchase a 32-bit copy and 64-bit copy separately like with Vista. Does anyone know??

royalcrown

Distinguished
Did you guys even look at the feature lists before you complained...no? It looks like home premium isn't neutered this time around like xp or vista. I'll probably be buying home because the couple extra doo dads and bitlocker look use less.

Also, 49.99 seems like a good "special" price for current vista users already.

Status
Not open for further replies.