[SOLVED] Dealing with a cd drive that moves on its own

RandomGravity

Reputable
Nov 17, 2016
I have a 7200rpm external cd drive. Due to the spinning motion of the drive and its light weight, the drive as a tendency to move across the table on its own.

I placed the cd drive 6 inches away from an external hard drive and thought that the cd drive wouldn't move that far. Unfortunately, the cd drive moved that distance, hit the external hard drive, and pushed it into the speakers. The three items were in contact for about 5 minutes before I noticed it.

Here is a photo: View: https://imgur.com/9g1mIYS

The cd drive was on and spinning at full speed. The external hard drive was off. Can the vibrations from the cd drive damage the hard drive?

Could the cd drive have been damaged by the incident? Is there any risk from holding the cd drive in place while it's running? Can the vibrations somehow damage the cd drive?

And the speakers can't be damaged by the vibrations of a cd drive, right?

Also, does anyone have any ideas for how to keep the cd drive in place in the future?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
In general, such vibrations would NOT harm speakers, nor harm a HDD that is not operating. Even if the HDD were operating, vibrations like that are not expected to be strong enough to affect it. However, MAYBE the CD drives' vibes really are enormouns for a device of that type, so it would be good to prevent it from running into the HDD when operating.

Reactions: RandomGravity

RandomGravity

Reputable
Nov 17, 2016
i have had a similar issue with USB hubs and other items like fans on desktops.
usually i would use double sided tape or sticky pads and they would work perfectly.
for an easy solution that will allow the devices to still be moved around you can just place a mouse pad or other non-slip texturized mat under them.

A mouse pad is a really easy and cheap solution - will try this first. Thanks for the advice!

RandomGravity

Reputable
Nov 17, 2016
In general, such vibrations would NOT harm speakers, nor harm a HDD that is not operating. Even if the HDD were operating, vibrations like that are not expected to be strong enough to affect it. However, MAYBE the CD drives' vibes really are enormouns for a device of that type, so it would be good to prevent it from running into the HDD when operating.

Glad to hear that most devices are immune to damage from vibrations. Thanks for the info!

TRENDING THREADS