Question Dealing with Micro stuttering and running out of ideas

GerstnerBoi

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2015
Hello all,

I've recently made a thread regarding micro stuttering and would like to seek more help after many attempts to fix it.

So I recently upgraded my GPU since it was a long time coming and I wanted to play VR games. I upgraded from a 960 to a 1080 TI since it was the only affordable accessible option to me in these times. However ever since installing it ,I've been noticing these strange micro stutters happening. Where the game will be capped at 60 fps, but for a split second, its almost easy to miss the game will freeze and the fps in the corner will show 57 or 58 and go back to 60. I also get MASSIVE frame drops if all my settings are set to default(Nvidia control panel) Its extremely random and happens on MOST games with the odd game not having this issue. Stardew valley has this problem which is really strange as its not graphically intense at all. As well as fallout New Vegas which is a pretty old game. When playing VR its fairly smooth, but I would sometimes run into hard crashes (PC shuts off and restarts, no blue screen.) This also happened when trying to do a User benchmark test.

Things I tried:
-Using DDU in safe mode to completely remove drivers and reinstall.
-Disconnecting monitors, or other usb devices that could cause the issue.
-Windows is up to date.
-Disabling Game mode.

After someone gave the suggestion of my PSU being the potential problem as the new GPU was set up with daisy chain and the PSU was a low quality one, I agreed and bought a new Seasonic one. Higher voltage, fully modular and better quality. Still had the issue. Since I also bought a new M.2 SSD, I decided to try a new clean install of windows as my HDD was getting older and slower to try and fix the problem. While that was a nice quality of life improvement (Boots went from 4 to 5 minutes to like 20 seconds lol), it STILL has this issue. There are barely any programs installed so any problematic programs that could cause it are out of the equation.

Little things I've tried:
-Changing power management settings and power settings in Nvidia control panel (This alleviates the issue by a lot, but is still ever present.)
-Taking the GPU out, dusting the PCI-E slot and reinserting.
-Installing game to new SSD to rule out faulty drives
-Reapplied thermal paste just in case thermal was the issue.

I believe this is CPU related as the stuttering occurs during large rendering, and effects in games. I never had this issue with the 960, but I'm not sure if its a driver issue, windows issue, or hardware issue. Or that the processor I have just isn't cutting it anymore and causing a bottleneck. But ive heard people say bottlenecks don't cause stuttering, but I could be wrong.

My specs in case people wondering:
Specs if anyone is wondering:
CPU- Intel i5 8400
GPU - ASUS 1080Ti
MOBO- MSI Z370 Gaming Plus
PSU - Seasonic Focus Plus 650W 80+ Gold
RAM - Hyper X Fury 16GB
Storage- 1TB SSD, 500GB Samsung m.2 SSD

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

GerstnerBoi

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2015
This is the thread where you were advised to change the PSU. Out of curiosity, was the GPU purchased second hand/used? What version of Windows 10(assuming that you're on 10 and not 11) are you working with? BIOS version for your motherboard? As for your clean install., where did you source the installer for your OS?
The GPU was purchased second hand through a friend. Though it wasn't used for most of its life. I don't think he was trying to scam me cause he gave me time to check if it works properly, which I thought it was until I started noticing the stutters. The version of windows 10 im using is windows 10 Home version 21H2. Bios version I'm not too sure but I've never updated it so that could be a potential fix. As for the clean install, I used a USB with the Windows media creation tool. I used rufus to put it on the USB properly.