Question Dealing with new "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" BSOD

Jan 31, 2020
Hello again, everyone. I seem to be dealing with a new BSOD issue this week. I thought I was through this issue before when I deleted a buggy windows update and didn't get BSODs for a whole week. But now the BSODs have started up again and it's hampering my use of the PC.

The BSODs this time, however, don't seem to be very random this time. The kind of BSOD stopcode that I get is called "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" or "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". This BSOD seems to happened whenever I have a Twitch.TV stream opened via Firefox, even if it's just opened and running in the background, as well as whenever I'm playing a game, more specifically when I played Monster Hunter World where it will crash at very random moments. Sometimes it will crash when I'm in an intense fight, and sometimes it will crash when I'm not doing much of anything.

System specs:

Operating System -Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU - Intel Core i9 9900K @ 3.60GHz
RAM - 32.0GB - DDR4 - 1066MHz Default Clock Speed - 15-15-15-36 Timings
Motherboard - Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7B17) (U3E1)
Graphics - AORUS AD27QD Monitor (2560x1440@60Hz) + 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER (MSI)

Storage
232GB Samsung SSD 860 EVO 250GB (SATA (SSD)) - WINDOWS 10 INSTALLED HERE
931GB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00Y6A0 (SATA )
931GB Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB (SATA (SSD))
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 (SATA )

Optical Drives
No optical disk drives available

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Power Supply Unit
EVGA 850 GQ 80 PLUS 850 Watt Gold Power Supply

Here's some reports via WhoCrashed:

---

On Sun 2/23/2020 1:19:29 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\022320-9359-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C14E0)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0xE, 0x8, 0x0)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 2/23/2020 1:19:29 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!setjmpex+0x8149)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x0, 0xE, 0x8, 0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sat 2/22/2020 12:44:40 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\022220-8687-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x575AC0, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80752249FE0)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.

On Fri 2/21/2020 2:18:42 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\022120-7781-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xFC (0xFFFFD10767A18000, 0x8A0000080B2009E3, 0xFFFFC881549AF510, 0x3)
Error: ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt was made to execute non-executable memory.
This may be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules. Memory corruption can also occur because of overheating (thermal issue). There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.

On Thu 2/20/2020 2:42:21 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\022020-8968-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xFC (0xFFFFE9BD00201090, 0x810000018C167863, 0xFFFFFD0D6097F6D0, 0x2)
Error: ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt was made to execute non-executable memory.
This may be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules. Memory corruption can also occur because of overheating (thermal issue). There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.

On Thu 2/20/2020 2:13:43 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\022020-8359-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x133 (0x1, 0x1E00, 0xFFFFF8045BD73358, 0x0)
Error: DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION
Bug check description: The DPC watchdog detected a prolonged run time at an IRQL of DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This could be caused by either a non-responding driver or non-responding hardware. This bug check can also occur because of overheated CPUs (thermal issue).

Anyway, just like last time, I attempted several things to fix the issue.

I have ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic Test and found no issues
I ran CHKDSK ("chkdsk C: /f /r /x") and Windows System File Checker ("sfc /scannow"). - SFC managed to find corrupt files and reported that they were fixed, but it didn't seem to solve my BSOD issue.
I ran a memory test visa Memtes86 with whatever default setup it had. The memtest reported zero errors.
Even though I have never attempted overclocking on this PC, I have reset my BIOS settings to make sure that there was no overclocking set.
I updated my motherboard's firmware to the latest version.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled all Intel HDD software made for my motherboard vis MSI's official support page.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled Realtek and Nahimic software to their latest versions.
As suggested by another user, I have tried using DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth command to fix corrupted files and found no issues.

Here is a folder with my minidumps if anyone would like to look at them: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cijg72i2k3iufsr/AADf2cX2w1Y40qmXD-OdB3Q0a?dl=0

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020
Yes, I am tried memtest86 and didn't seem to run into any issues. It took six hours to complete and it reported that their was zero errors.
My drivers are up to date for all my important hardware.

I included minidumps in the original post, as well as my current system specs.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://snazzierbarnacle.htmlpasta.com/
File information:022320-9359-01.dmp (Feb 23 2020 - 01:19:29)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 6 Hour(s), 59 Min(s), and 11 Sec(s)

File information:022220-8687-01.dmp (Feb 22 2020 - 00:44:40)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Discord.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 41 Min(s), and 03 Sec(s)

File information:022120-7781-01.dmp (Feb 21 2020 - 02:18:42)
Bugcheck:ATTEMPTED_EXECUTE_OF_NOEXECUTE_MEMORY (FC)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 59 Min(s), and 23 Sec(s)

File information:022020-8968-01.dmp (Feb 20 2020 - 02:42:21)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: csrss.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 27 Min(s), and 51 Sec(s)

File information:022020-8359-01.dmp (Feb 20 2020 - 02:13:43)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Firestorm-Releasex64.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 10 Hour(s), 22 Min(s), and 12 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)

The nvlddmkm.sys file is a NVIDIA graphics card driver. There are a few things you can do to fix this problem. First off, try a full uninstall using DDU in Safe Mode then re-install the driver (more information). Or try getting the latest version of the driver. Or try one of the 3 most recent drivers released by NVIDIA. Drivers can be found here: http://www.nvidia.com/ or you can allow Windows Update to download the driver for you, which might be a older/better version.

BIOS info was not included. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Jan 31, 2020
I don't get why some MSI motherboards don't get Live Update 6. Its available on almost all others.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-Z390-GAMING-PRO-CARBON#down-driver

I will ask a friend to read the dump files.

those look like normal driver errors, SFC/DISM don't normally help with those.

I believe that Live Update 6 was replaced by Dragon Center. Seems to have the same driver update capabilities as Live Update 6.

Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://snazzierbarnacle.htmlpasta.com/
File information:022320-9359-01.dmp (Feb 23 2020 - 01:19:29)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 6 Hour(s), 59 Min(s), and 11 Sec(s)

File information:022220-8687-01.dmp (Feb 22 2020 - 00:44:40)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Discord.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 3 Hour(s), 41 Min(s), and 03 Sec(s)

File information:022120-7781-01.dmp (Feb 21 2020 - 02:18:42)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 59 Min(s), and 23 Sec(s)

File information:022020-8968-01.dmp (Feb 20 2020 - 02:42:21)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 27 Min(s), and 51 Sec(s)

File information:022020-8359-01.dmp (Feb 20 2020 - 02:13:43)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Firestorm-Releasex64.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 10 Hour(s), 22 Min(s), and 12 Sec(s)
Comment: The overclocking driver "NTIOLib_X64.sys" was found on your system. (MSI Afterburner or other MSI software)

The nvlddmkm.sys file is a NVIDIA graphics card driver. There are a few things you can do to fix this problem. First off, try a full uninstall using DDU in Safe Mode then re-install the driver (more information). Or try getting the latest version of the driver. Or try one of the 3 most recent drivers released by NVIDIA. Drivers can be found here: http://www.nvidia.com/ or you can allow Windows Update to download the driver for you, which might be a older/better version.

BIOS info was not included. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

I have done some DDU cleaning for both my Realtek audio drivers and Nvidia drivers but with no success. I have always tried to update to the latest drivers afterwards, but I have not tried using older drivers, so I could try that. I will try that and wait for more answers as suggested.

Jan 31, 2020
G.Skill Sniper X Extreme Performance Gaming DDR4 RAM
F4-3200C16D-32GSXKB
DDR4-3200 16GBx2
CL16-18-18-38 1.35v

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the 2 new dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://futuristpuppy.htmlpasta.com/

File information:022320-8875-01.dmp (Feb 23 2020 - 12:16:24)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: explorer.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 06 Min(s), and 09 Sec(s)

File information:022320-13687-01.dmp (Feb 23 2020 - 03:25:11)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: firefox.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 35 Min(s), and 05 Sec(s)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Not sure dragon centre replaced, might just be an alternative

No drivers specifically mentioned apart from Nvidia, did you use different drivers after running DDU?

might need to update this
DateDriverDescription
Sep 23 2016libusb0.sysLib USB driver https://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb-win32/
USB drivers built into windows, strange to have 3rd party. I assume you know what its for.

try updating lan drivers, ones on web site are dated 30 July, yours are from April
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MPG-Z390-GAMING-PRO-CARBON#down-driver&Win10 64

update Intel Management Engine Interface, its in the Others driver menu of above link. It helps to have the latest as it matches BIOS.MIght fix some of the errors.

Is the GPU an Asus model? Only ask as you have
Apr 23 2018GLCKIO2.sysASUS RGB driver
and I know Gigabyte also use that driver but not sure about MSI, and I don't see it listed on board.

Jan 31, 2020
I don't recall using any other NVIDIA drivers other than the latest ones available. I am currently using version 441.87, though.

I am not at all sure what the Lib USB driver is for, and not at all sure how I managed to get those drivers on my PC in the first place.

I used the Dragon Center App by MSI to update all my Intel stuff for my motherboard, so everything by Intel should be up to date. My bios is also using the latest version.

The GLCKIO2.sys file is for my AORUS Monitor which uses a program called RGB Fusion to control the colorlighting built into the monitor, it seems.

Anyway, will report back if I get any new BSODs after all this.

Jan 31, 2020
Another night has been claimed by a BSOD. This time, however, it specifically mentions an Nvida driver this time. Stopcode is still the same, though.

On Mon 2/24/2020 11:00:58 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF806732155AB)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x270, 0xE, 0x0, 0xFFFFF806732155AB)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvmdi.inf_amd64_66a9fbdbf3774bc0\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 441.87
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 441.87
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 441.87 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

On Mon 2/24/2020 11:00:58 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\022420-8218-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF806732155AB)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x270, 0xE, 0x0, 0xFFFFF806732155AB)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nvmdi.inf_amd64_66a9fbdbf3774bc0\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 441.87
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 441.87
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 441.87 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Here is the minidump: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8odqwzdgecy14vi/022420-8218-01.dmp?dl=0

I have tried cleaning my Nvidia drivers using the latest version of DDU and reinstalling version 441.87. I also tried opening up my computer case to clean out the port for GPU using canned air duster and re-seated the card. Also to note that before all this happened, I went through the trouble of resetting my PC using the Windows 10 option. I'm at a complete loss of how to get rid of these BSODs at this point.

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://dragonlikelady.htmlpasta.com/

File information:022420-8218-01.dmp (Feb 24 2020 - 23:00:58)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 09 Min(s), and 27 Sec(s)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Up until this point, I would have said IRQ errors are unusual to see related to Nvidia drivers, as generally they cause other BSOD. But twice this month I have seen it cause these errors.

are you able to test GPU in another PC?

another alternative is run a LInux Live USB and test GPU in another OS as that would remove windows from story completely and tell us if it is hardware or not.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the 2 new dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://oldfangledstructure.htmlpasta.com/

File information:022620-8531-01.dmp (Feb 26 2020 - 01:52:16)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 55 Min(s), and 10 Sec(s)

File information:022620-7421-01.dmp (Feb 26 2020 - 02:04:30)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Steam.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 11 Min(s), and 23 Sec(s)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Errors aren't showing driver names...

I know these can cause BSOD
Nov 12 2018dtlitescsibus.sysDAEMON Tools Lite Virtual SCSI Bus (Disc Soft Ltd)
Nov 26 2018dtliteusbbus.sysDAEMON Tools Lite Virtual USB Bus (Disc Soft Ltd)

csrss.exe = Client services. Its the process that your user runs in.

If driver won't show itself, we can always try to force it to show itself. Have a look at the 2nd post in this thread, and do the steps I set out as precautions as although driver verifer is built by Microsoft, it can cause boot loops - https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...nclude-in-blue-screen-of-death-posts.3468965/

Jan 31, 2020
(posting from my phone)

Had another BSOD last night randomly while using my pc, and my PC froze with no BSOD screen shortly as is I was trying to type out a new report here.

Not going to bother posting a minidump right now, because I have pretty much given up at this point with trying to fix this issue by my hand. I have been dealing with these problems for at least a month by now and no longer have the patience to keep troubleshooting on my own. I will say that at this point, i honestly think that the problem might be hardware related since all the BSOD stopcodes and driver related crashes have all been random with no recognizable pattern. After multiple uninstall and reinstalling for my most important drivers along with three resets for windows 10, i really don't want to believe that so many of these drivers are broken or corrupted.

I have tested my Memory, Hard drives, SSDs and GPU and found no issues with them. So that leaves the CPU, Mobo and PSU. I have taken my PC to a repair shop today and I am hoping they can figure out what is causing these BSODs once and for all. If they figure out the issue and it's hardware related, i will just RMA the faulty hardware as soon as I can.

Still i would like to thank you all for helping me out with this mess. Much appreciated.

Last edited: