Deals Dec 20: EVGA GTX 680 SC w/2 Games $429.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I can not stand EVGA's choice for cooling on their cards.
A single small fan. It create a significant amount of noise, and does not cool very well at all. Before I replaced my GTX 480's cooler (exact same design) it sounded like a 747 engine taking off.

For the exact same price, you can get the GIGABYTE card, that has three large fans. Runs cooler and with much less noise. (Still includes those two games)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125442

deathengine

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
There is nothing wrong with the reference gtx 680 fan design. And it pushes hot air OUT of the case. So for some folks , like me, it works perfectly.
I have 2 in SLI and they are barely audible most of the time. Not nearly as bad as the reference 480. And lets face it, the 480 ran 90C most of the time.

dgingeri

Distinguished
There is something really wrong with the HP memory configs on the h8-1440. a i7-3820 with 10GB of memory in 3 DIMMs?? How the heck...? 2 4s and 1 2?? Does it even run like that? That has got to be the weirdest config I've ever seen.

Wow, whoever decides on HPs hardware configs is really disconnected from reality. That really screws up performance. All of them are like this to a certain extent, but HP is by far the worst.

thety6on

Honorable
Apr 17, 2012
I'm with deathengine. The Gigabyte card blows hot air straight into the case and unless you have great ventilation, you'll be pretty much recycling the same old hot air for all of your components. Also the 680 has a new vapor chamber design which has supposedly worked out very well.

G

GTX 680 4gb for my 2560 x 1600 display or nothing. 2gb is for pansys.

[citation][nom]Azathoth[/nom]I can not stand EVGA's choice for cooling on their cards. A single small fan. It create a significant amount of noise, and does not cool very well at all.[...] 6814125442[/citation]

I chose the card to blow the hot air OUT of my case. It runs very cool, even in summer, so I'm not sure what your gripe is about. Clearly you have not owned one of these cards with this design (my first was a GTX 275). If you want a hairdryer blowing in your air-cooled case, then by all means get that cool looking Gigabyte card!

Status
Not open for further replies.