Deals June 26: 1TB Cloud Storage for $59.95/month

Status
Not open for further replies.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
[citation][nom]themarin8r[/nom]Probably because it is for Businesses mostly. And for most businesses, 720 bucks a year is totally worth paying for.[/citation]
Unless the business actually has an IT guy (which with 1TB of data needing backing up, they likely do), at which point, said IT guy can buy said 1TB redundant backup drive and "cloud storage" it in his basement.... (encrypted, etc of course).

buckcm

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
You can get 1 TB for Google Drive for $50 per month.

Does anyone remember the deal from Livedrive that blew up?

adgjlsfhk

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012
the problem with google drive is that it is not very secure, and google reads stuff on it, so it does not work for any confidential info. Also, 2 months is $118, which is more than a 1 tb hard drive.

G

The thing with having an IT guy is that he's going to cost you 50-90k a year depending on location.

But who knows how safe any online storage is from hackers, data loss, heck, even bankruptcy. Yeah, it definitely seems foolish to not just buy an external nas with raid for half the price of one year of this service. Those things are so easy to use and setup, you don't need an IT guy.

It must make sense for some people however, because there does seem to be a demand for these products.

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Use something like Egnyte and you get the same low prices with a bunch more options. http://cloud.hulafish.com

Also, a nas and external hd are great, but they don't protect you from fire theft or flood. You need offsite backup to protect your data from a real disaster, not from general backup issues. This is for people who really need to keep their data safe, and look at it like an insurance policy. Also, any thought that you can use anything short of a business plan to get this backup is a bad idea. Sometimes these things fail as well and if you have a home plan you can't get anything out of them. Every business should have 2 local and one remote backup if they are done right, including a raid. That is the only real way to be safe

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
heh, someone said the 1tb online backup was a business solution...
Well, depending on the business 1tb is either way way way too much, or way way way too little.
And at $59.95 you could buy urself a drive in 2 months or so.....

But of course, a sucker is born every minute, and it's worse when they use "cool buzzwords" invented by the iFreaks to lure unsuspecting people....

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
This must be a typo folks. 2 month worth of service will easily buy you a nice 1TB drive.
Heck, Newegg has 3TB externals for under $150 now.

And let's face it UL/DL with an external drive beats the hell out of our so called 'high speed' connections.

hoofhearted

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Just check the price on Newegg, $90 for their cheapest 1TB Seagate. Two of these and add another $100 for a DLink DNS-320, total of $280 for a RAID 1 TB NAS and you get to keep it for less than 5 months worth of this cloud crap.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Also included in the 1TB cloud deal ->
Better fire security compared to having the backup home - check!
24/7 availability to skilled hackers as the "cloud's secure systems" are hacked over and over - check!
Its FAR more expensive than using a thumb drive in the key chain with an encrypted backup - check!

Lets see - No deal!

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
One of my projects at work (I'm an IT guy) is to find a vendor for online data storage. One of the best options I've looked at is Iron Mountain, and they recently gave me a quote for 400 GB cloud storage. Monthly cost: $624. They are on the more expensive end, but now you understand why 1 TB for only $60/m is cheap.

Consider catastrophic data loss due to acts of God, i.e. floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc.; something capable of destroying all the data in the building regardless of how many redundancies you have built in. And consider that the loss of data will almost assuredly put many companies out of business, especially finance and legal companies. This data is absolutely confidential, as is data from hospitals, etc. This isn't about a sucker being born every minute, this is a requirement for a 10,000,000 annual revenue company staying in business.

A high-end cloud storage company offers many services the others don't. For example, they'll have 3+ data centers around continent, and even if catastrophic accidents happened to two of them, the user wouldn't even notice. Of course the data center also has redundancy in itself to handle drive failure. Consistency and speed and redundancy of their ISP is also something you pay for, and it's important because their internet downtime could mean the loss of your most recent data, or their slow speed means delays in uploading your data to them for backup, and especially delays in getting it back when you need it. A good cloud storage company will be able to back up files automatically and back up files incrementally (e.g. upload only the 100 KB of changes to the 40 GB database, not re-upload the entire 40 GB of the database). They will also maintain separate backup pictures of all your files from every 15 minutes and keep them for years (up to seven years in the case of Iron Mountain), allowing you to truly revert to earlier versions of a file even if you've deleted or misplaced it. And also, a high quality cloud will ship your data and a temporary server to you ASAP so your company can handle a server outage without closing down.

Iron Mountain is too expensive for my company's needs, so I'm just using them as a real world example. There are a lot of misconceptions going around about what business cloud storage could provide and what is a fair price for these services, and why they are needed in the first place. I hope my post is educational for some of you.

LukeCWM

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]$624 a month for 400 GB?You are so getting ripped off.[/citation]

Did you not read anything I wrote about what they offer that MozyPro (for example) doesn't? I'm not saying it's cheap, since it sent my company looking for cheaper alternatives, but it all depends on how much service a business requires.

izmanq

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
60 USD / month for 1 TB ? :| i think it's better buy my own cloud server and put several TBs HDDs. private cloud make more sense than this :|

Status
Not open for further replies.