Deals Oct. 26: Download Windows 8 Pro Upgrade $39.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

weierstrass

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
I got Win7 Upgrade for 25$ and was happy until I formatted the Hard drive to do a fresh install, I thought it will probably ask me for the serial number of XP and Win7 and proceed, but no... it won't allow you to activate unless you actually upgrade from older version..

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]weierstrass[/nom]I got Win7 Upgrade for 25$ and was happy until I formatted the Hard drive to do a fresh install, I thought it will probably ask me for the serial number of XP and Win7 and proceed, but no... it won't allow you to activate unless you actually upgrade from older version..[/citation]
once you choose upgrade there is a process where it asks you what to do, then you have the choice of choosing from scratch or start anew....no need to get the full version

skaz

Distinguished
Tigerdirect, if you read this. I do not want to enable javascript for your site. Your site runs completely fine without the need of so many scripts. I know this because of one main reason, I click on your link and the entire page will load fine, then I get the "javascript" requirement page. If I Hit "X" before that "javascript requirement" page, I can view it just fine.

So, whatever the reason, I suggest the "requirement" be removed. I frequently leave your site because of this annoyance.

Anyone with noscript knows what I'm talking about.

weierstrass

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]once you choose upgrade there is a process where it asks you what to do, then you have the choice of choosing from scratch or start anew....no need to get the full version[/citation]
But how choose upgrade when you have deleted the older version of Windows (format HDD first or changed HDD against new one)? Whenever I want to do a reinstallation now I have to install XP and then Upgrade that to Win7 which takes a lot of time. And Windows Upgrade process is annoying, You cant keep working and upgrade in background like Linux.

solidstatebrain

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2012
I booted my system (from bios) with an USB drive with an image of Windows 8, started the installation and selected "Custom" instead of "Upgrade" in order to select/modify/delete the needed partitions on my SSD. Then it went on without asking me anything else besides the Win 8 serial code of the license I purchased.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]weierstrass[/nom]But how choose upgrade when you have deleted the older version of Windows (format HDD first or changed HDD against new one)? Whenever I want to do a reinstallation now I have to install XP and then Upgrade that to Win7 which takes a lot of time. And Windows Upgrade process is annoying, You cant keep working and upgrade in background like Linux.[/citation]
you can do that before you format the hdd...it will give you the option to format and start new...install your old windows and reinstall your win 8...trust me, it works i have done it with my win8 installation

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]hoofhearted[/nom]Don't bother with the Win8 upgrade. It keeps giving an error "Intializing checkout failed." Tried 3 times."[/citation]
lol....you must be doing something wrong..it worked flawlessly for me...also the setup was smooth and everything works...I was actually surprised how well I works in bootcamp

Status
Not open for further replies.