John Bauer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

27" 1080p screen $225-$350
27" 1440P screen $600-$1,000+

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

There's a couple of reasons why Dell's monitor would be more expensive than yours [which upon looking up on newegg, the cheapest 27 inch LG was 250].

Firstly, the build quality is noticeably higher on the Dell. Between the ability to rotate the display, change angles and change height, all the LG can do is rock back and forward for angle.

Secondly, the Dell has DisplayPort in place of HDMI. Not everyone would look at this as a plus, but DisplayPort is objectively a much more versatile port for monitors than HDMI, since it doesn't place hardware limitations on number of screens and can handle much higher throughput.

Thirdly, there is an aspect [for me at least] of blindly trusting Dell's screen tech more than LG. I have Dells at work and they are outstanding monitors. The LG is probably just fine, but they definitely don't have the same reputation for their screens that Dell does.

Lastly, it has to be said, the Dells have way more style than the LG monitors. They're professional without being boring, and look very sleek. They'd compliment any computer and desk from a dorm room gaming rig to a glass executive desk. Form isn't as important as function, but that doesn't mean it isn't important at all.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010

I've seen many dell monitors in person and they look great. They are also built with excellent quality. If the LG monitor does not come with a pivt/swivel mount I'm not interested.

John Bauer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

I actually bought this monitor at Sam's club, it was the only one they actually had. I'm also glad that it has HDMI, I had a spare HDMI laying around so I didn't need to buy a new cord. It just fit my needs the best

I should add that personally, I would not need a swivel mount, and when I first put the stand on it, it's built so poorly, I thought it was going to break from the weight of this huge monitor. But I found a way to secure it better (extra screws to connect it to the actual foot, it was loose)

Status
Not open for further replies.