Question Dear Ryzen 2700x users: Low Performance on Games & Why?

cascoh

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2013
Ryzen 2700X @ Stock (3.7Ghz)
RTX 2070 Super
16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 3200Mhz
ASUS ROG Strix 470-F
Win10 64-Bit
--
Hello Everyone :)

I use to be an Intel user and a lot of the games I played ran amazing on those processors, with the big AMD turnaround and bad stuff being said around Intel's CPU's the past couple of years I decided to give it a shot and honestly I regret it. My i5 4670k paired with a 1070FTW gave me way better performance in my games then a 2700x + RTX 2070 Super especially in games like CS:GO, Apex Legends, Destiny 2 and other AAA titles. Are AMD CPU's really for gaming? I've heard nothing but great things on reviews and really I'm not that impressed. I run all these games on the lowest settings and man the frames are just not there. I upgraded to my 2070 Super to try and solve the issue and barely seen a performance jump. How does a HIGH end PC build like mine not achieve higher frames for a better experience, is AMDs single core performance really that bad? Friends of mine who have 970's + older Intel CPU's get more frames in these games then me.. by ALOT, Were talking 40-60+ frames. If I knew how the performance was before Id never switch over to AMD. I'm not trying to make this a rant I really just want to understand.. I've done everything in my power to try and see why I always feel like my PC is under performing. I've spent so much $ on this beauty and I feel like AMD just Isnt doing its justice for me.. I guess I really just need to accept the fact that Intel is just much better for a gaming experience then AMD is for all AMD users what has your experience with the switch been like? I've seen other users asking the same questions as me so I don't feel like I am the only one with these questions and concerns. I REALLY wanna read everyone's Inputs, thanks guys.. cheers.

-Fresh Windows10 Install
-Updated ALL drivers (GPU, BIOS, Chipset etc.)
-NVIDIA GeForce settings optimized for FPS
-Clean hard drives and registry with CCleaner
-Remove background process' that could hog resources
-OC'd the 2700x (Brought it back to stock speeds after not seeing much increase)
-New thermal paste and Cleaned inside PC from dust and other debree
-Done a bunch of component tests (Memtest, CPU Stress tests etc.) All of my temps were great.

Last edited:

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Ryzen 2700X @ Stock (3.7Ghz)
RTX 2070 Super
Win10
--
Hello Everyone :)

I use to be an Intel user and a lot of the games I played ran amazing on those processors, with the big AMD turnaround and bad stuff being said around Intel's CPU's the past couple of years I decided to give it a shot and honestly I regret it. My i5 4670k paired with a 1070FTW gave me way better performance in my games then a 2700x + RTX 2070 Super especially in games like CS:GO, Apex Legends, Destiny 2 and other AAA titles. Are AMD CPU's really for gaming? I've heard nothing but great things on reviews and really I'm not that impressed. I run all these games on the lowest settings and man the frames are just not there. I upgraded to my 2070 Super to try and solve the issue and barely seen a performance jump. How does a HIGH end PC build like mine not achieve higher frames for a better experience, is AMDs single core performance really that bad? Friends of mine who have 970's + older Intel CPU's get more frames in these games then me.. by ALOT, Were talking 40-60+ frames. If I knew how the performance was before Id never switch over to AMD. I'm not trying to make this a rant I really just want to understand.. I've done everything in my power to try and see why I always feel like my PC is under performing. I've spent so much $ on this beauty and I feel like AMD just Isnt doing its justice for me.. I guess I really just need to accept the fact that Intel is just much better for a gaming experience then AMD is for all AMD users what has your experience with the switch been like? I've seen other users asking the same questions as me so I don't feel like I am the only one with these questions and concerns. I REALLY wanna read everyone's Inputs, thanks guys.. cheers.

-Fresh Windows10 Install
-Updated ALL drivers (GPU, BIOS, Chipset etc.)
-NVIDIA GeForce settings optimized for FPS
-Clean hard drives and registry with CCleaner
-Remove background process' that could hog resources
-OC'd the 2700x (Brought it back to stock speeds after not seeing much increase)
-New thermal paste and Cleaned inside PC from dust and other debree
-Done a bunch of component tests (Memtest, CPU Stress tests etc.) All of my temps were great.

It's not April 1st yet is it? You aren't pulling our legs? Raw unadulterated power goes to Intel, but the Ryzens are fantastic. Especially the 2700x over the 1st Gen. I have a 2700x and AMD fanboyness aside, it's crushing every game I throw at it. I am honestly & genuinely sorry to hear you are not having the same results.

Forget FPS, how do the games run? Past a certain point, worring about having uber high FPS is just silly. I'm not calling YOU silly, just in general about how "high" the # is vs how the games actually play. There has to be something going on somewhere to give you issues. Please list out your exact specs.

Last edited by a moderator:

cascoh

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2013
@Mrgr74

I mean they run fine there's no issues.. Its just games I played on my older system performed better then my new system is what I found odd. I understand the Ryzen is great at multi-tasking and other things but when just gaming my older rig was better. When it comes to streaming the 2700x is incredible.
Ryzen 2700x
ASUS RTX 2070 Super OC
Win10

Elad333k

Commendable
May 15, 2019
I have also bad fps drops with ryzen cpu on destiny 2 lowest setting 1080p fps drop to 40-30 in alot cases ppl with older intel cpu get flawless performance without any problem destiny 2 have problem with gen1 gen2 ryzen procressors need atleast 3gen thats my guess

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
well I know my system runs all my games in excess of 100fps (some 2x that) .. and I play some pretty graphical intense games like GTAV, Dauntless, Destiny 2.. my games are all on max settings and 1080p. ive had to even somewhat throttle mine as my screen only is a 60hz display so super high frame rates sometimes cause tearing, but my GPU also has settings to compensate for that

Blitz Blitz

Distinguished
May 18, 2015
I think problem on games. Some are very bad optimized. Another problem can be in new hardware, and drivers also not optimized yet. I have intel + gtx, and also have fps drops. (Wanna upgrade to ryzen, but you saved me).

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I have owned multiple Ryzen rigs and all of them gamed exceptionally well, even compared to previous and current Intel based rigs.

Poor performance, as described in this thread, is usually the result of outdated drivers, BIOSes, Windows/games/apps not being updated, etc. Hardware performance (if working properly) is not the issue.

Jan 5, 2020
For those who are planning to buy R7 2700/x be aware that currently on market there are some people who are selling fake chinese copies of R7 2700/X cpus. Or used cpus but in brand new box. My friend bough it recently for very very small amount it smelt fishy to me. After few days his cpu just died.

I run all these games on the lowest settings and man the frames are just not there.
Hey get with the program, you have to play all the games at ultra settings and most at 1440p as well to be able to pretend that you get the same FPS as an intel system...
The 2700x can be about 20% slower in games (minimums since that's what causing the issues) at the same clocks and intel has another 25% of clocks to spare...
haDrc0I.jpg

4745454b

Titan
Xt4biXQT7uhu7xEvrHxFAP-650-80.png

Why is the 4.2GHz 2700X nearly matching the 4.9GHz 8700K? Even using your lone example photo the different between the 2700X and the lone Intel which happens to be their very best current CPU doesn't show the 2700X to be performing like the OP is complaining about. Yes, the 2700X is slower. About 12%+ slower or so. But it should still be very playable.

85x32P6bjQWTmnk6saLtNm-650-80.png

Here is another game. GPU bound as all the CPUs score about the same.

NSh5x9L9RqkJQY3dqQbfda-650-80.png

Another GPU bound game.

SBmpD88msw7F9ZnoHz5UGo-650-80.png

Another game where the 4.2GHz 2700X is basically tied with the 4.9GHz 8700K. I'm not sure what you were trying to say with your one whole pictures, but the tone of your message just screams Intel fanboi.

Why is the 4.2GHz 2700X nearly matching the 4.9GHz 8700K? Even using your lone example photo the different between the 2700X and the lone Intel which happens to be their very best current CPU doesn't show the 2700X to be performing like the OP is complaining about. Yes, the 2700X is slower. About 12%+ slower or so. But it should still be very playable.
12% is the difference that the GPU allows with this settings...
IN BF the GPU allows 20% difference,the clocks is another 25% difference.
If the GPU would allow for even more of an difference, for example by lowering settings,the difference could be even bigger but a 45% difference is already pretty much what the OP is talking about.
Here is another game. GPU bound as all the CPUs score about the same.

Another GPU bound game.

Another game where the 4.2GHz 2700X is basically tied with the 4.9GHz 8700K.
Yes that's exactly what I am saying, ryzen is just as fast as long as the GPU is cutting off the FPS way before the intel system can stretch its legs...
The 8700k could just as well be running at 4Ghz that's what I'm saying,the reviews just use O/C to make it look as if ryzen could keep up with O/C intel CPUs...

Battlefield happens to be less GPU demanding while still being very CPU demanding (just like playing a game with lower settings) and that's why the difference is much larger.
I'm not sure what you were trying to say with your one whole pictures, but the tone of your message just screams Intel fanboi.
If my tone is fanboi (ish) then what is your tone?!
Trying to hammer in that everybody should only play GPU bound games,that's the first thing that I pointed out...

Last edited:

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
For those who are planning to buy R7 2700/x be aware that currently on market there are some people who are selling fake chinese copies of R7 2700/X cpus. Or used cpus but in brand new box. My friend bough it recently for very very small amount it smelt fishy to me. After few days his cpu just died.
yet one more reason to avoid sites like Ebay and Wish and buy from reputable dealers

4745454b

Titan
If my tone is fanboi (ish) then what is your tone?!

As always, reason.

Hey get with the program, you have to play all the games at ultra settings and most at 1440p as well to be able to pretend that you get the same FPS as an intel system...

I get it. You hate AMD. Intel is the greatest. Because the i9 9900K can beat the 2700X at the same clocks. Your link wasn't at 1440. And it was still only ~12% faster than the 2700X. (I finally broke down and did the math, 13.75% faster.) That's the i9 with the most amount of cores and cache. And it wasn't ran at 1440 like you said we'd have to do so we can "pretend" to be as fast as Intel. He said he's getting 80s FPS while his friends get high 100s. At 1080 this isn't 13.75%. Rather than argue I'm going to stick to helping the OP. The problem isn't just running an AMD CPU.

He said he's done everything I would suggest however. So he's got a bad card or some other odd thing going on. I myself moved from an Intel 3770K to a 2600 recently and haven't noticed a difference. CPU under 70C while gaming? What are the clock speeds of the CPU and GPU while gaming? Did you really do a fresh install of the OS? (moving from intel with 4C/8T to AMD with 8C/16T might not correctly use the cores.) I'd also double check all settings including ram speeds and timings.