Dear Tom's - Mac vs. PC

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Is there any way that Tom's can do a comparison between a Mac & a Windows 7-based PC running the same benchmarks/programs to see, in reality, which performs better overall?

In terms of price/performance, so, hardware-wise, as close as possible, then let it rip...

There's no reason to even try to test this. Considering that you pay almost 100% extra as a Mac tax, you don't need benchmarks to compare which has better price to performance. Also considering that Macs use 2-4 year old technology, there isn't anyway to fairly compare the two. PC wins hands down.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I'm not disagreeing with you Admiral, it's the thick-headed Mac users that i want to show it to, because no matter what you say, they will still claim Mac's as superior, so just want some proof and i don't have the $$$ to fork up, but i figures Tom's could have Apple send them a demo or something so they can review it. Then, afterward, Tom's can have a contest on whoever wins can beat the Mac with a spiked bat first!

randomizer

Champion
Mac users may claim that their stuff is superior but I bet they never claim it has better price/performance. I can't speak for the desktops, but Apple laptops are at the peak of the consumer laptop industry in internal build quality, although Lenovo probably still beats them in corporate laptops (which are also overpriced while being far uglier than Macs) for both internal and external build quality. Those X series laptops are the bomb.

It's still pointless. The average Mac user would reject the proof you show them any way. We're talking about people who shelled out $2,000 for a $500 laptop. I'm certain I can find rocks smarter than the average Mac user...

randomizer

Champion
Have you ever actually compared a Mac laptop with a $500 Windows laptop? Both will work fine, but the latter will be a poorly built piece of crap. In fact, most laptops under $1200 are poorly built.

Ok. So I exaggerate slightly. They pay $2,000 for a $700 laptop.

My family and I have had several laptops that were all less than $1,000, and every one of is still kicking. The youngest one is 5 years. And they're not special ones either. They were all Dells or HPs.

All of my friends have had to replace their Macs within three years. That's quality for you...

randomizer

Champion
Component quality != build quality. Apple don't make all the components. Plus for every person who has had problems, you'll find someone who hasn't. Every individual device is different. It's like that Seagate 7200.11 saga after which people were saying they'd never again buy Seagate. Such a statement is completely irrational.

I have (or had, I gave it away) a Powerbook G4 that is at least 5-6 years old now, maybe more, and it still works fine except for the HDD which needed a replacement. Those things are only warranted for 3 years or so anyway and of all the components it's what I expect to die first.

I also had a cheap Acer laptop which needed the HDD replaced once as well. But it was flimsy and made of very cheap plastic. I wouldn't dare drop it more than a foot lest it simply fall apart on me. The Powerbook G4 was a solid aluminium unit and internally the layout was extremely tidy.

EDIT: Speeleng

randomizer

Champion
OSX is not terrible, only its lock-in design is (although this makes compatibility almost a non-issue, so for people not interested in tweaking that's a good thing). It's a Unix-like OS so it automatically gets brownie points. Now OS9, that was bad.

No, I know. But that one con is enough for me. However I certainly can understand that if a Mac can do exactly what you need to do how it would be a good option as the lack of tweaking and etc. should make it difficult to crash/mess up. I had an urge to buy a surplus mac from my college, which I may still do some day for fun. I'd never buy new though.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Ok, so, 2 different areas here, Laptop segment & desktop segment, If Apple laptops are so superior & cost $2,000, what about a Lenovo or Dell Laptop that costs that much, would it be far better than the overpriced "cool looking" Apple piece?

randomizer

Champion
I would go with a Lenovo at that price without question. Dell I am not so sure. Between Apple and Lenovo in that price range is a matter of taste. You can go with boring but solid as a rock or fancy.

If by battery life you mean how long the physical battery lasts, I'm willing to bet that the Dell lasts longer. Apple's been known to force their customers to buy new batteries quickly (see first gen Ipod and lawsuit).

If by batter life you mean how long the computer can run off a charge, I'd bet Apple lasts slightly longer, but not enough to really matter. Given the Apple has a less demanding GPU, it shoudl use less power. However, it also uses a lot of older tech (C2Duo, DDR2), so those parts use more power. I think the less power for the GPU will outweigh the additional power for the other parts.

Clevo notebooks are impeccable powerhouses that are built strong for the higher-priced tiers. I'd choose them over Lenovo - they tend to use a bit older tech.

It's also interesting to note that Apple, Dell, HP, and many other manufacturers all have their machines built by the same few companies. Structurally, I think the Macbooks only seem to be better because they're made of metal...but I think that's a terrible idea. Metal conducts heat, and electricity, as well as dents and scratches...whereas plastic does none of those things (assuming it doesn't have a glossy coat that every company plasters all over their tech gear, from notebooks to cell phones...it makes no sense..).

Magneson

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Admiral I am not sure where you are getting the MAC info from but according to their website the highest price laptop they have is about $2,300 and it comes with an i7 2.66 Ghz cpu. Also the current 13 in. MacBookPro is boasting a 10 hour battery life with wireless use. I wonder how much this diminishes over time. My Dell started with a 5 hour batter now it last about 20 minutes unplugged and I have had to have the mobo exchanged under warranty 3 times now. I don't think I will go back to Dell/Alienware ever again. I guess the option will be Mac or Lenovo. Thanks for all the conversations though, they have helped.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
You want us to compare PC to Mac? Have you seen some of the comment threads on this very topic alone? It would precipitate a flame war of epic proportion.

I fear the Mac vs. PC thing will be relegated to one of those ages old polarizing arguments, like Coke vs. Pepsi and "Tastes Great / Less Filling". Either way it would come out, it would annoy half. ;)

Imo, with Steam coming to Mac, it may be interesting to see how well similarly speced (in terms of GPU,etc) PC will do for gaming.

I'd choose them over Lenovo - they tend to use a bit older tech.
True that, esp. considering after IBM sold off the ThinkPad to Lenovo, quality isn't the same...

My thoughts exactly.

@ the OP - Don't take this the wrong way, but I can't see this ever being a good idea.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Just looking for some factual evidence, Spend $2,000 on a MAC and spend $2,000 on a PC, see which is worth it's weight in gold. Is that so hard for the folks @ Tom's to do? Isn't that what y'all get paid for?

It can be a laptop or a desktop but it has to be relative, just have to compare everything equally, benchmarks, power consumption, battery life, whatever can be measured equally on both sides.

I know that apple has some good battery life and PC can use more programs more efficiently, etc... but that's the point, i'm sure there are alot of people out there who would like to see if paying $2,000 for a PC or a MAC is warranted justly.

I would do it but i don't have over $4,000 to spare just for sake of reviewing, Tom's, on the other hand, does...
... And before anyone goes spinning that "fanboy" yarn, you must consider that in some peoples minds, every video card benchmark Tom's does is just fuel to the "AMD vs Nvidia" war, in others minds, it is simply a great tool that they can use with logic to help people make decisions on which is the best product at that current time.

I am one of those people looking for truth and Tom's can provide that.

Apsco60

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010

When buying a mac do these things. Copy down all the hardware, software your getting. Go on new egg and taly the price for what your getting. Their ripping you off. You can buy or built a pc similar confuguration much much cheaper. Hey you dont believe me? Go and try it, and u will laugh as hard as i did as thousands of fanbois are being ripped off

Apsco60

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010

DELL COMPS FTW