[SOLVED] Debating between bookshelf speaker

I been debating to get a new set of speaker to my PC. Currently Im using an old (I think from 1992 can't remember the year exactly) AIWA system (XS-N2H) with its original speakers (the speaker are in gerat condition). The sound is simple put great for anything, movis, games, netflix, music.

But the amplifier unit (https://www.radiomuseum.org/images/radio/aiwa_co_ltd_tokyo/xs_n2_nsx_d2_1165782.jpg) is getting beyong repairment, radio/back noise is filtering on the aux and usually the right speaker don't work (something to do with the function selection button).

I tried to disassembly the amplifier but the pcb and internal plastic looks really weak to go deep, it really feels it will break. If they break I have no replacement.

So I been watching and reading lots of reviews, I know IM asking for too much but I would really like something that will work for Gaming, Movies and Music (I play music from CD or WAV, I dont use compressed files, I need and want to hear every little bit of each song).

In my country this are the replacements I found

- Logitech Z607: main con it does not have digital optical input and from what Ive seen the bass its not really that good as the old model

- Edifier R1280DB, my main concern is that I read 1 review that said that voice in movies was not that great. Other said you can fix that witht he treble and bass knobs - This one have all the inputs I would need including the optical digital for the TV (which has PCM funtion)

- PreSouns Eris 3.5 or 4.5. I really do not know is this studio monitors will be even good for gaming. But it seems they have a really awesome clear sound, not as flat as other expensive monitors. Very limited inputs.

- Thonet and Vander VERTRAG BT HOME CINEMA + FASER, way more expensive that other here, I really don't know if the extra money is worth it. I don't quite get what the Faser is used for? All the unputs I need.

Please I need some feedback, sugestions and opnions. Thank soo much to anyones input!

Solution
D
- PreSouns Eris 3.5 or 4.5. I really do not know is this studio monitors will be even good for gaming. But it seems they have a really awesome clear sound, not as flat as other expensive monitors. Very limited inputs.

I would go with these hands down from you list of choices they are a great all around bookshelf studio monitor.

I personally like the cheap monoprice powered desktop speakers but I don't know if they are available in your area.

Monoprice dt-3 in USA goes on sale allot for $60 and they are very nice.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=36571
D

Deleted member 362816

I would go with these hands down from you list of choices they are a great all around bookshelf studio monitor.

I personally like the cheap monoprice powered desktop speakers but I don't know if they are available in your area.

Monoprice dt-3 in USA goes on sale allot for $60 and they are very nice.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=36571

Reactions: RodroX
Solution
Well just to close this up, I finally got the speaker set.

I was really tempted to get the PreSonus but, since I had a 30 days return policy, I decided to take my chances and try the Edifier R1280DB first.

I must said the first day was kinda hard to find myself with this speakers (mainly for gaming and movies, music was great), but after a few days I must said I don't really miss my old Aiwa sound system.

Advantages:
  1. Lots of inputs + bluetooth.
  2. Personal opinion, great overall sound, gaming, movies, youtube, music. I would said, at this price range, a solid +8. Of course at this price don't expect Hi-Fi audio, but this are really, really decent speakers.
  3. Great Bass, more than enough for me, I do not know why some reviews said its not enough.
  4. Construction, this are budget speaker, yet they are pretty well constructed, even better than others that cost twice as much.
  5. Looks, they really blend well with wood desktop and shelfs.
  6. Remote Control, is tiny and a bit clumsy sometimes but it does what it needs to and it works.
Cons:
  1. Bass.... yes, sometimes is too much, you can knock it down with the controls on the side. I would take it out of cons if I was able use the remote for it.
  2. Tweeter a bit on the small size. Don't get me wrong it does what it needs to do, but I bet a 1 inch drive would have been way better on the same cabinet. And they certanly have the room for it.
PD: I did not get the PreSonus, or the Monoprice Captain Discombobulate suggest it, still I pick his post as the Best Solution cause I don't like to pick one of my own post.

Last edited:
I been debating to get a new set of speaker to my PC. Currently Im using an old (I think from 1992 can't remember the year exactly) AIWA system (XS-N2H) with its original speakers (the speaker are in gerat condition). The sound is simple put great for anything, movis, games, netflix, music.

But the amplifier unit (https://www.radiomuseum.org/images/radio/aiwa_co_ltd_tokyo/xs_n2_nsx_d2_1165782.jpg) is getting beyong repairment, radio/back noise is filtering on the aux and usually the right speaker don't work (something to do with the function selection button).

I tried to disassembly the amplifier but the pcb and internal plastic looks really weak to go deep, it really feels it will break. If they break I have no replacement.

So I been watching and reading lots of reviews, I know IM asking for too much but I would really like something that will work for Gaming, Movies and Music (I play music from CD or WAV, I dont use compressed files, I need and want to hear every little bit of each song).

In my country this are the replacements I found

- Logitech Z607: main con it does not have digital optical input and from what Ive seen the bass its not really that good as the old model

- Edifier R1280DB, my main concern is that I read 1 review that said that voice in movies was not that great. Other said you can fix that witht he treble and bass knobs - This one have all the inputs I would need including the optical digital for the TV (which has PCM funtion)

- Thonet and Vander VERTRAG BT HOME CINEMA + FASER, way more expensive that other here, I really don't know if the extra money is worth it. I don't quite get what the Faser is used for? All the unputs I need.

Please I need some feedback, sugestions and opnions. Thank soo much to anyones input!
I was looking at getting Klipsch R-41PM active speakers for my PC as an upgrade. Just need to save a few more pennies :p

how is the monitors placement ? are you making an equilateral triangle with your listening position ?

Yes, but it will take a few weeks to fix the height. Right now they are in a shelf in front of me but a foot up from my head.

Im debating between:
  1. lowering the shelf (which will fix the issue but at the same time is going to prevent me the free access I have now to the back of my Display and PC. The shelf will be too low for me to get in there anymore).
  2. Putting the speaker on the desktop, one each side of the display with a stand/isolation pads.
  3. Adding some isolation pads below the speakers, above the shelf (the way it is now) and make them point downwards.

Im probably going with the 3er option for now since is the fastest. I will then recosider and test the other options.

Mezoxin

Reputable
Nov 3, 2019
Yes, but it will take a few weeks to fix the height. Right now they are in a shelf in front of me but a foot up from my head.

Im debating between:
  1. lowering the shelf (which will fix the issue but at the same time is going to prevent me the free access I have now to the back of my Display and PC. The shelf will be too low for me to get in there anymore).
  2. Putting the speaker on the desktop, one each side of the display with a stand/isolation pads.
  3. Adding some isolation pads below the speakers, above the shelf (the way it is now) and make them point downwards.
Im probably going with the 3er option for now since is the fastest. I will then recosider and test the other options.
use a tool to draw an RTA graph , will help you decide which option gives the better acoustic for you . KRK audio tools on your phone could work , play a sine sweep 20Hz-20KHz and see which position give you the flattest response possible from your listening position

use a tool to draw an RTA graph , will help you decide which option gives the better acoustic for you . KRK audio tools on your phone could work , play a sine sweep 20Hz-20KHz and see which position give you the flattest response possible from your listening position

Thank you for the tip! I will try when I get some free time from work.

UPDATE: Yesterday I watched "Injustice" (WB-DC animated film), the movie was... so so, but the audio was pretty amazing, the speakers did really well!

Last edited: