Debating on making a build with an open case. Will I get better thermals?

DaveyFTW

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
May do a build within the month on a Thermaltake P3 tower. Since it is open, I wonder if the temperatures will be better than my current build (NZXT S340). I’ll be cooling the CPU and GPU with radiators, though. Will this be a good move?

Solution
Thermal wise its a good idea, but dust wise its a bad idea. Your maintenance time will increase 10 times unless you live in a relatively dust free enclave. Also accidental damage is another prominent factor why it is not often recommended. It will be loud and prone to flying objects.
Thermal wise its a good idea, but dust wise its a bad idea. Your maintenance time will increase 10 times unless you live in a relatively dust free enclave. Also accidental damage is another prominent factor why it is not often recommended. It will be loud and prone to flying objects.

Solution
It depends on the cooling setup. If you had a normal case and the rad in the front, it still gets fresh cool air so pretty much the same temps. Vrm temps will be worse with no active cooling in an open case. In a normal case, it would at least have airflow from the case fans.

DaveyFTW

Commendable
Aug 15, 2016
I live in a pretty sterile environment. If there is dust, I can clean it no problem.

k1114: the S340 is setup as describe and my temps still kinda suck (GPU). Figured I'd give the open case a go.

I must have missed something because I don't see a description. All I see is a case and unknown rads are involved. You could have a bad 120mm exhaust rad setup which will be a worse than even a cheap $30 air cooler. You could have a 280mm in front but you'd still have restrictive airflow because the case. These could be aios, which range from terrible to decent enough, or you could have a custom loop. No info on fan setup which could mean not ideal case airflow to cause your high gpu temps. Although from your other thread, 70C is not bad, it's good. In any case, an open case can be worse as mentioned. It's not the best cooling solution nor is it a good value. The p3 is for looks and people usually have a custom loop with it. I get the feeling you have aios and even with this case, your temps will not change.