Question Debug led CPU

Jun 14, 2019
Hi all, I have a problem my pc won’t display anything and my key board won’t light up. I recently installed the Corsair h100i liquid cooler for my cpu but I forgot to wipe off the old thermal paste and apply fresh thermal paste would that sort out my issue

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Firstly what is your full system spec?
Is the DEBUG LED for your CPU lit up / on?

I forgot to wipe off the old thermal paste and apply fresh thermal paste would that sort out my issue
You should always clear away old paste - it shouldn't cause a CPU LED unless it was either causing a short or got onto another part of the CPU / socket (I.e. bins) for example.

I'd sooner be looking for bent pins and ensuring you plugged everything in correctly.

But cover this entire guide first to ensure you haven't missed anything obvious - and it will cover the bent pins issue: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

Jun 14, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Firstly what is your full system spec?
Is the DEBUG LED for your CPU lit up / on?

You should always clear away old paste - it shouldn't cause a CPU LED unless it was either causing a short or got onto another part of the CPU / socket (I.e. bins) for example.

I'd sooner be looking for bent pins and ensuring you plugged everything in correctly.

But cover this entire guide first to ensure you haven't missed anything obvious - and it will cover the bent pins issue: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/
Ryzen 2700x
Msi X470 gaming pro carbon
Msi GeForce Rta gaming x trio
16gb of ram
850w power supply
H100i liquid cooling system
2tb hard drive
1tb SSD

The de bud cpu led is on when I turn it on and I went down to my local pc shop and they said all my connections is fine just that de bud led CPU

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Best way to clean technically is at least 90%+ isoprop alcohol and a microfiber cloth (worst case roll can be used).
If not, a good clean with a microfiber cloth can do the trick, just not cleanly.

You can clear away thermal paste and cover the guide I posted previosly as this will cover bent pins and more. Then feedback.

Jun 14, 2019
Best way to clean technically is at least 90%+ isoprop alcohol and a microfiber cloth (worst case roll can be used).
If not, a good clean with a microfiber cloth can do the trick, just not cleanly.

You can clear away thermal paste and cover the guide I posted previosly as this will cover bent pins and more. Then feedback.
The thermal paste has only been there for like a week or 2 it still quite fresh so would baby wipes work because iv got plenty of them

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
yes I think baby wipes would work, just make sure to let everything dry a little (few minutes at least) if they are overly damp. Ideally rubbing alcohol is best because it dries almost instantly and dissolves the paste with ease. make sure no lint gets left behind either, when you reapply you may wish to look up how they suggest for your CPU, some suggest a X shape, some several pea sized, some single pea sized etc.. so I would look into what manufacture suggest for best reapply and coverage

Jun 14, 2019
yes I think baby wipes would work, just make sure to let everything dry a little (few minutes at least) if they are overly damp. Ideally rubbing alcohol is best because it dries almost instantly and dissolves the paste with ease. make sure no lint gets left behind either, when you reapply you may wish to look up how they suggest for your CPU, some suggest a X shape, some several pea sized, some single pea sized etc.. so I would look into what manufacture suggest for best reapply and coverage
Okay thank you

Jun 14, 2019
No - baby wipes will likely have a residue or soap contained in them that can damage components.
As I said, worst case a paper towel just to effectively rub off all the thermal paste will do if there is nothing else to hand.
Okay thank you will do that and if the de bug led still stays on after I added some thermal paste what else do I need to check

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I added some thermal paste what else do I need to check

You'll want to go through the complete / full guide I posted in an earlier comment:

Reactions: Lewis.nash96
Jun 14, 2019
You'll want to go through the complete / full guide I posted in an earlier comment:
Okay thank you very much will have a look at this tomorrow when my thermal paste comes

Jun 14, 2019
I have put thermal paste on my cpu and it’s still the same the de bud led light still there and I can’t see anything else wrong at all so I’m a bit puzzled and stuck atm it’s either the CPU or the motherboard has failed on me

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you've covered absolutely everything in that guide including cabling. Then I'd either suspect that something has been damaged in the cooler transition or the cooler has been installed incorrectly (potentially).

CPU debug light typically means the CPU isn't detected, which is indicative of installation, or the CPU or the socket becoming damaged. You'll potentially want to take it to your local computer shop to see if they have another CPU to test or if they can find any HW damage.

Jun 14, 2019
I’ll get a replacement motherboard and CPU and get them both installed by someone else they are still both under warrenty because iv only had them for like 2 months
I dont think the water cooling is damaged in anyway because the fans spins and the rbg lights comes on when the big block is on the CPU I think the CPU is damaged

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I dont think the water cooling is damaged in anyway because the fans spins and the rbg lights comes on when the big block is on the CPU I think the CPU is damaged
That's what I'm referring to, if the CPU is damaged from the cooler change, then the warranty won't cover you, equally if the change had caused damage to the motherboard in some way, if they find user damage, then they'll void the warranty.

Hopefully it isn't that, but just saying its something to be wary of.

Jun 14, 2019
That's what I'm referring to, if the CPU is damaged from the cooler change, then the warranty won't cover you, equally if the change had caused damage to the motherboard in some way, if they find user damage, then they'll void the warranty.

Hopefully it isn't that, but just saying its something to be wary of.
The weird thing is it was running when I had the water cooling on that’s when it cut out Because the cpu wasn’t over clocked when I had the stock cooler on but when I put the cooler on I forgot to wipe off the thermal paste and add some more so when I over clocked the cpu it might got really hot and the cpu died on me. I did a test on cinebench 15 and the score came out at like 1870 to 1890 range so I don’t know if that is really high but im a idiot so it was probably my own fault