Decent build for a non gamer

Enitinsharma

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016
Hi there,
Your site is really helpful.

I am looking to build a Desktop for me and here are my requirements…
1. I am a software developer so would using for development on Visual Studio 2015 and SQL server.
2. I don't intend to play any high end games.
3. Would be doing all usual stuff like browsing, music, movies, MS office etc.
4. Need a configuration that solves my above requirements for about 4-5 years and is workable on future windows updates till then.

Here is my initial configuration….

1. Processor: Core I5 6500/6600

2. RAM: Hyperfury 8GB DDR4

3. Mobo: Gigabyte GA B150M D3H

4. SSD: Samsung 250GB 750 evo SSD

5. Hard Drive: WD Blue 1TB

6. DVD writer: ASUS DRW 24D5MT

7. PSU: Antec VP550P 550W

8. Cabinet: Cooler Master Elite 311

Kindly review and advise if it looks good to you. I am flexible in budget but looking for a value for money specs that is relevant for a good 4-5 years.

Also please suggest if there is any other good quality "mini" cabinet that works well with the above configuration. Are there any cons of using a mini cabinet instead of a standard size cabinet ?

Thanks in anticipation !

Solution
This looks like a sensible set of components.
The Mobo is a micro-atx so you could fit in a smaller case but if you have room for a big case then get the big case.
On the otherhand, I would get a full ATX mobo to get extra PCIe x1 slots which might come in handy for future expansion needs.
The GA-B150M-D3H has two PCI slots which are pretty much redundant slots these days unless you have some old PCI cards to re-use in your new build.
This looks like a sensible set of components.
The Mobo is a micro-atx so you could fit in a smaller case but if you have room for a big case then get the big case.
On the otherhand, I would get a full ATX mobo to get extra PCIe x1 slots which might come in handy for future expansion needs.
The GA-B150M-D3H has two PCI slots which are pretty much redundant slots these days unless you have some old PCI cards to re-use in your new build.

Solution
For a work computer why not go silent mITX?

Build looks good, PSU is pretty over sized.
Your build won't draw more than 200W.
I'd prefer a Seasonic G 360W depending on the price a Corsair CX450M might be attractive.

As for the case:
Silverstone Precision PS09
Cooler Master Silencio 352
Naxonia Deep Silence 4
Fractal Design Define Mini
(From cheapest to most expensive) would be good mATX cases