Decent gaming computer around 200

stonedpope

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
I'm trying to build an Decent, not Super, but looks swell, gaming computer for under and around 200, i have already picked a couple graphic cards but i don't know if they can play, the games that meet my needs,

NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX200 Presario 8000Z
or
Radeon 2400 XT

i'm not looking for the best, i just want to play the games at medium - high or average settings. If you have any better choices for graphic cards, let me know.

the games i want to play at decent are Borderlands 1, Deus ex human revolution, Team fortress 2, half life, Prince of Persia, Oblivion, bioshock 1 & 2 and Modern warfare. Remember i just want to get a decent look not a super look.

And i could find most parts for a discount around the internet, such as ebay.

Stop buying bud and save your duckets. $200 even used is honestly gonna be shite. Either one of those vid cards you listed wouldnt play msot of those games even on the lowest of low settings. Not even sure what that nvidia card is you listed.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
^It's from the Rage128 era, launched in 2000. That's 13 years old.

Those graphics cards won't even run Windows 7.

To put things in perspective, the motherboard alone in my system cost $200. Now, that's a flagship motherboard, but you can't buy a whole computer capable of doing ANYTHING with graphics at all for $200. Windows will cost around $80-100 depending on what you buy, so that puts your budget at $120.

Save your money. If you MUST have something to buy games on, buy a console. You'll have to triple your budget if you want a decent gaming computer.

ryu750

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Ill try and give you best answer possible. I have built many budget systems for friends that will play most games on high settings. Give you some of the best scenarios that I have gotten with Patience from craigslist an Ebay.

CPU AMD II X4 3ghz $40 - Used Ebay
Biostar Motherboard AM3 $45 - Craigslist
GTX560 card $100 - Craigslist
4 gigs 1600ram $28 - Newegg
120gb HD $20 - Craigslist
Antec 300 case $30 - Craigslist
HEC Orion PS 550 $23 - Newegg
Coolermaster Heatsink 19.99 - Newegg
DVD-RW Rom LG 17.99 - Newegg

Grand total best case scenario $323 that will play ANY GAME This is also figuring your going to grab a OEM windows key from an old computer. add another $99 if you want to buy windows 7 even though you can find keys on ebay for around $40

If you dont care about the case you can stick those peripherals into any box you find laying around and save your self some money as well.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
If you live near a Microcenter, they have some pretty good deals going on right now.

They have the A10 5800k on sale for $119 with a $50 mobo credit. I think there are some ok FM2 motherboards for around $60-70.

So CPU and mobo for maybe $130

Cheap case and psu - $50

4 gigs of ram - $20

This, along with an old hard drive/os that you might have laying around could probably do what you are asking.