Decent PC Not Performing Well

mourakue

Prominent
Apr 29, 2017
Hey guys my computer is having an extremely tough time running any game I try.

Specs:
- AMD FX-8350
- Nvidia GTX 1060 3GB
- 16GB DDR3 2133 Corsair Vengeance RAM
- MSI 970 Gaming Mobo
- Corsair CX600 PSU
- Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
- 4x120mm Fans
- AMD Wraith Cooler
- Samsung 27" 60hz 1080p
- Secondary is an old dell 1280x1024 (Disconnected I see maybe 5 FPS boost)
- Windows 10

*I have windows set to use as little resources as possible, reducing text quality and stuff.

Overwatch (lowest settings): I average 60-70 FPS
CS:GO (lowest possible with custom files): depends on the map, average is usually around 90-100. Low points I get in the 50's, highs are in the 120's.
PUBG (lowest settings): average of 20-30. Lows around 10's, highs at 50 MAX. Game is just unplayable.
H1Z1 KOTK (lowest possible): Average 40-50. Low's in 30's.
Quake Champions (lowest): In the 30's.

What is most frustrating is that my buddy's PC with worse specs runs all of these games FAR better. He has a 380 and i5 from ivy with 8gb of ram and 2 144hz 24" 1080p monitors.

I really just want to know what is going on because these FPS numbers seem atrocious. Did I mess up and just build a bad PC? I appreciate any help, please let me know if any more info is needed. Cheers.

Solution
Hello... your GPU is running above stock... 1961 vs 1708 that's good.
your memory is running 2003.4 that's stock
your memory is not fully being utilized during that test... 1Gb vs 3 Gb's this can be because of your graphics setting in the game, the right 3D setting will increase this... typically increasing the 'Details" of the pixels/characters.

AND... your GPU is only at 53% Load... so your Not driving this card to full capacity... that data comes from your other hardware (CPU)... game? B (

See if you can increase a graphic memory setting too... and maybe Load down the GPU some more in that test B /

mourakue

Prominent
Apr 29, 2017

I have it set to performance yes.

mourakue

Prominent
Apr 29, 2017
Downloading FireStrike basic right now.

FX is at stock clocks and voltage. Overclocking helped but anything past 4.5ghz caused the PC to crash (not blue screen).

Overclocking will only help a little, that cpu runs 4ghz at stock.

Your cpu is underperforming a little, should be closer to 9000 at stock.

In general its CPU for fps and GPU for pretty graphics, so you may as well turn the graphics back up as it should have only a small impact on your fps.

mourakue

Prominent
Apr 29, 2017
So obviously my CPU is a bottleneck in the system, but dang! Would that be causing the low score on the GPU? Or what could be causing my GPU to be running so poorly? Is my PSU not providing enough power?

Hello... Good questions... Well... GPU-Z will tell you what type of load-freq-temp-power your GPU is doing while playing your favorite games. https://www.techpowerup.com/download/gpu-z/

For the CPU you could see here what each core/thread is visually doing...

Task Manager-Performance-Resource monitor-CPU ... top middle is your CPU freq square/reading and there will be core graphics to the right.

what % load is it running at with the GPU-Z app at the same time... this should show you which one is loading down before the other... try different graphic settings and output resolution too as to the range and the performance of the CPU and GPU in these games.

can you do a prime95 or intelburntest run while having amd overdrive cpu status tab onscreen.
Like to see whats happening with your cpu clocks under heavy load.

PUBG & H1Z1 are bad ones to base anything on.
The rest though (especially csgo which should be touching 250fps most of the time wit minimums of 120 or so) are low.

Hello... 3) Does Win 10 still do "Core-parking"? look at the CPU graphs in the "resource monitor" and see if you have any "Parked cores".. it will be texted to/in the core graphics.

4) have you made a 'Custom power profile" yet in the OS?... you need to make sure your devices are not going into "Energy savings" mode. B /

Control panel-Power options.

mourakue

Prominent
Apr 29, 2017

Yeah not great examples with massive mem leak issues and horrible optimization. I can run the test, CPU seems to be doing fine though; looking to be more GPU.

As for everything else, I have CPUZ and it says my bios is v22.4. Downloading GPUZ now, will watch it while gaming.

Looking at the passmark scores yes that 1060 is way lower than it should be .
Install afterburner & check GPU clocks & loads while running a game with the overlay.
Sneaking suspicion its not hitting full 3d clock speeds at all.
There is a lower power 3d clock on the nvidia cards which will give you only 50-60% of its max performance which looks in line with that passmark graphics score.

mourakue

Prominent
Apr 29, 2017
I'll ask you guys first, I am thinking I'll contact MSI to see if there is any warranty or anything before really tearing everything apart. Good idea or bad idea? I don't have different cables unfortunately.

Neur0nauT

Admirable
Don't try new cables. Don't be trying to fix something that ultimately wont get any better. Your processor is holding you back here. That's a waste of time. Save up some money, and upgrade your system. Ryzen or Kaby. There a re good prices on both platforms for your requirement. IMO. your 1060 is solid for 1080p...just give it the processor to balance it out. You will see the difference.

Hello... Most games are not coded for multi (8) core operation... so some the of problems lies there... they are just forcing data through a couple cores... that why the single thread performance is so important B / I feel for ya... how old are the CPU/MB? do you still have a return policy?

As for the calling MSI... that would be a great idea... ask for TECH if you can get one... your using a NVIDIA product in a AMD design and there might be a "Fix" or setting to change? B /

Did CPU-z and GPU-z give you any information to share with us?

mourakue

Prominent
Apr 29, 2017
I've been too busy today to do any serious gaming, going to try and do so tonight and get some accurate measures. All parts were brand new and bought last November.

TRENDING THREADS