Decent priced motherboard that are compatible with this pc

Nov 1, 2018
These are the specs for my partner's pc. I want to upgrade all of his parts slowly. However the motherboard is terrible. What's a good motherboard that will support these parts and future parts. Will be upgrading to at least GTX 1060, 16gb DDR4 ram, 128gb samsung evo 850 ssd.

i5 3750k 3.50GHz
8GB DDR3 Ram
Motherboard - ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M (CPU Socket) 
Intel HD Graphics 4000 
AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
931gb Seagate
Dead silence case

His pc keeps freezing on games even tho he has high fps.

Why do you want to upgrade that board? It's fine and getting a new one is pretty much just wasting money as you seem to want to upgrade to a new platform slowly. I recommend just saving up a bit and moving on to a new platform all togheter.

Nov 1, 2018

Thank you. I know it's ddr3, looking to upgrade motherboard so it can support ddr4.

For 229$ you are almost at a point of getting a whole new cpu+mobo+ram combo so a really bad investment in my opinion.

there are no good motherboards for that CPU anymore. when my mobo died on my i5 3570K build almost 3 years ago now i could only find overpriced used mobos and cheap chinese basic ones and it was near impossible to find a replacement that would still allow you to overclock it. i ended up just saving up to get a new CPU/mobo/RAM combo

That platform is ddr3 only. For ddr4 you need a new board and cpu.

that cpu would never support DDR4 no matter what mobo you manage to find for it

finitekosmos

Prominent
Dec 24, 2017
What the others said.

The problem you face is that modern (z390 for example) boards support processors that have been made in the last 12-24 months and your partners machine is much older than that. The parts you could upgrade would be peripheral devices like the HDD, swapping it for an SSD would net an enormous gain in functionality and you could use the SSD in a new machine too.

The other components are just simply too old to carry over to a new computer, I'd suggest having a look at Tomshardware's build guides they are truly excellent and can even fit a tight budget. There is no reason that you cant simply gather components over time for your proposed upgrade, but you'll need to be certain that what you pickup will work with the new motherboard you'll use to replace the current system.

Other than that, check and make sure that the motherboard you decide to get will fit into the current case, and also consider a PSU replacement. Generally speaking PSU's do age and a system as old as this one could probably use a replacement, just make sure its capable of delivering enough power for whatever you want to upgrade to. :)

The best solution is to upgrade the motherboard, RAM and processor at the same time.

Here is a 3 item combo that does that.

Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.6 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo) Processor, ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z370 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 ATX Intel Motherboard, CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3000 Memory

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3770860