Decent PSU for $40?

Sep 11, 2017
I want a $40 USD psu. I actually want a 50 usd one, but in my country the 40 ones cost 55, and 55 ones 70 and so on.

So. which ones do you recommend? 500w at least. I've seen aome Aerocool ones but,nobody seems to have reviewed,the quality so idk. Thanks

Solution
Barring the fact the cx450 is far better quality, has a 40c full output rating (the cxm430 is only rated at 30c), & a 5 year warranty they are based on entirely different platforms regarding ac to dc conversion.

The cx430 is group regulated , meaning 3.3/5/12v conversion is split at source.

The cx430 has a max 12v capacity of 384w at 30c temps

The cx450 is DC to DC regulated.
Meaning AC mains voltage is converted solely to 12 v then the 3.3/5v is filtered off the already converted 12v as required.
This means in theory the 12v is able to supply near enough the rull rated capacity of the psu (448.5w according to corsairs specs)

The average system with a couple of hard drives, optical & a USB keyboard & mouse would need 15-25w of...
Barring the fact the cx450 is far better quality, has a 40c full output rating (the cxm430 is only rated at 30c), & a 5 year warranty they are based on entirely different platforms regarding ac to dc conversion.

The cx430 is group regulated , meaning 3.3/5/12v conversion is split at source.

The cx430 has a max 12v capacity of 384w at 30c temps

The cx450 is DC to DC regulated.
Meaning AC mains voltage is converted solely to 12 v then the 3.3/5v is filtered off the already converted 12v as required.
This means in theory the 12v is able to supply near enough the rull rated capacity of the psu (448.5w according to corsairs specs)

The average system with a couple of hard drives, optical & a USB keyboard & mouse would need 15-25w of that realistically so youre down to 425-430w or so realistically.
That's 50w more capacity than the old cx430 worst case scenario.

You could run upto a 250w gpu & a 100w cpu on the cx450 no issue at all if necessary.

& yes a 550w would give you more headroom - but you're not doing that for $40.

The aerocools ??

The kcas has 444w 12v & is poor quality.

8211447a0c9dc1b03bd5756d3f7b76d8.jpg

The integrator has an extra 12v over that , no bronze rating & is godawful quality.

Steer clear of the aercool units completely.

Solution
Sep 11, 2017

To run a more power hungry card.

Im on PC so i will type specs now that im not in the crippled mobile web lol.

-Intel Xeon E5430 2.66 GHz
-GTX 560 1 GB
-6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz
-Soundcard Sound Blaster SB0460
-One (1) 7.2k RPM HDD
-Corsair CX430M
-Common USB periferials.

Now that changes things. Just to want to point out at some point i was using 4 GB of ram in a 90w CPU, with this CX430M obv, plugged a Radeon HD 6950 and it wouldnt boot, just a loud annoying beep until i installed a second powersupply, a 300w OEM. And to keep stable used the CX 430 just for the card and fans, and the oem one to the motherboard and HDD.

I was skeptic because as far as i know the CX series still use shitty caps and damn glue but if you say that one is better i believe you. I might get that one.

I was expecting those PSU to be low quality but didnt know it was that bad.

Btw is the VS series of a worst quality or is it in pair with the 1st gen of CX's?

There are 2 variations off the vs now , the old units with orange white lettering (whixh shod always be avoided) & the new onea with silver/black - which are better but I would avoid anyway.

The new cx are better in every concievable way , all the vs are old group regulated like the old cx units.

There are actually 2 different variations of the cx /m - one greatwall based off the old tx platform & one cwt based off the vengeance (which was based on the rm series platform) .

Theyre both good quality anyway , the greatwall arguably has a better fan - & yes there are some teapo polymer caps in there but to my knowledge the majority of the ones that matter are nippon & sus'con hence the 40c full load rating.
The old cx contained only teapo's all the way through & they were electrolytic not polymer - hence their habit of failing after prolonged use at heavy load.

Sep 11, 2017

I was looking and i can get it for cheaper in local stores than newegg, i even may have the buck to go for a CX500 of the 2nd gen, if not now i know the 450 is a good choice.

I've seen also some refurbished CX 2nd gen obviously cheaper than brand new, but i will assume refurbished PSUs are a no go.

Yeah always knew the VS series wasnt much better than some cheap ass oem, i've seen enough of them blow up lol. Thank you so much!