[SOLVED] Decent receiver for improvised audio system

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Hey yall, I'd like to ask for advise in putting together audio system from bits and pieces available. Have in mind when it comes to audio I'm as green as Shrek's behind.

I recently re-discovered my old set of Creative GigaWorks G-500 sepakers I've thrown in the attic after receiver/subwoofer got fried during storm. Tested them and they work so I'd like to utilize them for smthing more than collecting dust.

So first question is what would be decent thing to buy in order to connect them to pc or tv?

Second question, I currently have Sony HT-CT790 Soundbar connected to Sound Blaster AE-5 Plus in my pc. Is it doable/viable to add those Creative speakers into the mix and if so how/with what?

Solution
The Creative system was "self powered" via the subwoofer. Since it got blown in the storm, you are only working with the satellite speakers, yes?

I would further assume that each of the satellite speakers has an RCA connector on the end, meant for plugging into the sub where they were originally powered from.

@kanewolf, the specs say 6 ohm.

So, really it's according to what you want to have as far as a final outcome along the lines of, are you hoping to utilize these as a 5 speaker system, or just a pair of them for stereo?

There are loads of inexpensive "amps" on the market that can be utilized to power these. It appears the speakers are rated at ~36W, so nothing too powerful. It will also be important to note that these...

kanewolf

Titan
Hey yall, I'd like to ask for advise in putting together audio system from bits and pieces available. Have in mind when it comes to audio I'm as green as Shrek's behind.

I recently re-discovered my old set of Creative GigaWorks G-500 sepakers I've thrown in the attic after receiver/subwoofer got fried during storm. Tested them and they work so I'd like to utilize them for smthing more than collecting dust.

So first question is what would be decent thing to buy in order to connect them to pc or tv?

Second question, I currently have Sony HT-CT790 Soundbar connected to Sound Blaster AE-5 Plus in my pc. Is it doable/viable to add those Creative speakers into the mix and if so how/with what?
I can't find any specs for the speakers. BUT, most of those all-in-one setups use really low impedance speakers. Frequently 3 ohm. Since the subwoofer failed, and with it the amp, finding another amp that can handle the speakers may be difficult.

Reactions: piechockidocent9

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The Creative system was "self powered" via the subwoofer. Since it got blown in the storm, you are only working with the satellite speakers, yes?

I would further assume that each of the satellite speakers has an RCA connector on the end, meant for plugging into the sub where they were originally powered from.

@kanewolf, the specs say 6 ohm.

So, really it's according to what you want to have as far as a final outcome along the lines of, are you hoping to utilize these as a 5 speaker system, or just a pair of them for stereo?

There are loads of inexpensive "amps" on the market that can be utilized to power these. It appears the speakers are rated at ~36W, so nothing too powerful. It will also be important to note that these weren't designed to be without the sub, so the sound will be lacking low range a great deal.

For only powering these, you should be able to utilize a headphone jack to RCA into inexpensive amp and out to the speakers. It will become more complicated if you wish to power all of them as basically the headphone jack is only going to be stereo.
The other aspect about the soundbar may be dependent on what happens to audio when you plug something into the headphone jack...ie since it thinks you have headphones on it may mute the other output, so this could require another bit of equipment.

In my personal opinion, something like Logitech "5.1" system (etc.) will likely be as inexpensive as an amp for this purpose and easier to implement. (I also didn't realize that the inexpensive options for these seems to have gone away).

Solution

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I'd like to try running them as close to original set as possible I suppose. From what I found seems indeed getting compatible woofer instead might be best.
I completely missed that option, thought this set is way too old to find parts si I did not even consider it or searched for. I'm waiting for reply from a guy selling working woofer+sound coontroller and cables from very same set for around 50$.

No experience in what I was looking at exactly but using hunch and product reviews good 180W amp is considerably pricier and as you mentioned it would power them up properly but sound range would be lacking.

About sounbar well I think I can already tell you headphone jack won't help. Sound card has 2 output setting I switch between via sounb blaster command app, either I get sound in headphone or in other 3 (F L/R + R L/R + Center/Woofer).
You mentioned another bit of equipment in this case, probably stupid question but please stay with me, wouldn't it work if I split the sockets? I mean minijack plug into 2 sockets and sounar + speakers into it or there needs to be smthing else thrown into the mix?

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I see, well gues I'll try that and see if there will be sound disortion issues and if so I'll just drop it in favor of speakers alone. Seen some say you can enable stereo mix in sound settings which would allow playing through multiple outputs at oncne, would be perfect as i could for example connect soundbar through optical and speakers through analog but i don't see that option anywhere in my settings. Might try app like voicemeter that supposedly does that too but I'm sceptical about the results.

Last thing I'd like to bother you with is again replacement subwoofer for speakers. Matching set one I found isn't available after all, probably some shady deal as seller doesn't reply to messages or calls to answer simple "does it work" question (probably busted and trying to sell as working or stolen).
Others I found are over a 100$, same as Logitech ones plus most of them come along with all or some of the original set speakers I don't need. I found promising looking used Teufel (german made) subwoofer and I'm curious about your opinion, will it do the job? I opened up the speakers to be sure as I found different specs but they are also 8.

Last edited:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
It appears that the Teufel was/is a very similar system to what you have. If the outputs are a type of jack you can use or adapt to your use case it could work. The issue I see would be if one of the speakers has the built in volume and power control which will typically be a multi pin connector and specific to the build.

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Well shucks ... they all do ... I think. The original G500 subwoofer had multipin connector for controller. Logitech Z-5500 subwoofer I could technically get my hands on for a tad pricier also has controller which goes for same or more as the woofer itself.

You think maybe Teufel woofer channel and volume up/down buttoms on it's front will work same way? Speakers themselves do no not have anything else other than simple black(white)/red clemps after all so their volume must be controlled via woofer anyway

Why not simply get a full working set of 2.1 speakers instead of buying a sub to use that may not work properly with your left over satellite speakers? If you are buying used there are are several good models you can find for $100 or less. Klipsh ProMedia (which are $100 NEW in some places like WalMart), Logitech Z623 or other similar systems from them. Sure you have your speakers now, but nothing that a trip to the trash bin won't solve. A full working used set of speakers is a better purchase than half of a set that is cobbled together and may not work properly.

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Sry about silence these past week, gig came up and I was a bit busy.
A full working used set of speakers is a better purchase than half of a set that is cobbled together and may not work properly.
Yeah you're right of course, I noticed while browsing that for same or slightly over woofer price (talking working used ofc) I could get likes of full set Samsung HT-TX725, Panasonic SC-HT870, Philips HTS3373 or even Samsung HT-F9750 (this one was a tasty treat but unfortunately only home pickup and guy is 700km for me). Call it a nostalgia thing or a shed project but I really wanted to make those satelites boom again.

Anywho thanks yall for help, specially punkncat, I went for the aforementioned Teufel and it seems to have done the trick. Not without hickups, first time I tried woofer worked as a central and amp but center/front left channels are switched as well as embedded speaker being completely silent. Opened it up and one of the spade-like cables was disconnected, I wonder if this was the reason why previous owner sold it. Fixed it, switched cables to match channels, played a bit with windows sound drivers due to 5.1 problems and wuala. Gotta tell ya this box has some kick, with max volume on all channels 5-10/100 in windows volume is plenty for casual use.

TRENDING THREADS