Question Deciding Between two CPUs

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
Hello everyone,
So im upgrading my old cpu Q6600 2.9ghz to something new so that i could play some modern games... as games are getting more demanding for Q6600 ...It lags too much in such games like watch dogs 2 and less fps in project cars when on stock and getting bottlenecked so much by my Gtx 1050 2gb ....Too low fps in csgo even overclocked (80-130)... Also this old cpu is lacking some instructions to run new games like FC5 FC ND Apex legends Ac Origins etc ..So my question is that im confused between two CPUs x5650 and a core i5 2400/2500 because of a tight budget. As an i5 is a 4/4cores threads cpu and a perfect match for my gtx 1050 but games are using too much cpu and a hard time for 4 cores cpu while the x5650 is 6/12 C/T CPU but its most likely for workstation purposes and uses more power than a i5 ..I do some other stuffs than gaming like video editing Live streaming multitasking etc
So tell me what would be the best option in 2019 ...also seen a w3680 which is better but draws too much tdp and may not overclock well (69MaxTemp) ...Another question that what a X5650 is equivalent to? Stock and overclocked too... Thanks Guys peace!

Lutfij

Titan
best option would be to go for an entry level Ryzen build instead of investing on aging hardware. You will also need a new board to pair those processors as well as higher spec'd rams which is why you'll see getting a new platform is much more smarter, resource allocation wise.

Reactions: EndEffeKt_24

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
best option would be to go for an entry level Ryzen build instead of investing on aging hardware. You will also need a new board to pair those processors as well as higher spec'd rams which is why you'll see getting a new platform is much more smarter, resource allocation wise.
Ryzens 5 1600 only processor costs more than the whole im paying for these both machines. So my budget is most likely 100-120$... I found a w3680 for 140$ and 100$ for 2400 still deciding for x5650 ...as i have heard they are best overclockers..

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Ryzens 5 1600 only processor costs more than the whole im paying for these both machines. So my budget is most likely 100-120$... I found a w3680 for 140$ and 100$ for 2400 still deciding for x5650 ...as i have heard they are best overclockers..
I am advising a platform upgrade. It is not wise to dump any more money on an ancient system. The cpu will be old, the mainboard and everything else is too. Besides the still bad performance just think about your situation if you spend another 120 dollars and your mainboard is defective 3 weeks later.

If you do not have the 350 dollars for a ryzen-upgrade just save up a little more. Your system is running for now.

Reactions: JackFive

JackFive

Reputable
Aug 16, 2019
I am advising a platform upgrade. It is not wise to dump any more money on an ancient system. The cpu will be old, the mainboard and everything else is too. Besides the still bad performance just think about your situation if you spend another 120 dollars and your mainboard is defective 3 weeks later.

If you do not have the 350 dollars for a ryzen-upgrade just save up a little more. Your system is runn smooth ing for now.
Okay so i will be collecting money but it would take much time because im a student and want to play atleast these new games ...for me 30 fps ultra/very high /high will be fine ...