Deciding on a CPU (reloaded version) for a small micro ATX build

manythings

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
Dear all,

I am switching some things around from a former design and still debating about the CPU.

This will be a small build, probably with a micro ATX board. The main use will be games, inclusive of both large world RPGs, RTS, and first person action. Some use will also include multitasking and editing, but that is secondary.

The case will, either, be Silverstone SG10, which seems to be about as small as you can get with a micro board; or the Aquilla Xigmatek, which is bigger but has the advantage of placing the board horizontally. So far, I like the Silverstone best for being so small, but would reconsider if anyone suspects there will be heat issues.

Now, for the CPU: I almost decided on the i5 6600K due to its newer cooler Skylake design and adequacy for gaming. But, was also considering the i7 4790K, due to its being only a little more expensive but rated at a much higher clock rate and inclusive of hyperthreading. Another issue here is this: I want to use a Windows 7 CD that I have on hand, but have heard and read that it is difficult to install Win 7 on Skylake systems due to their no longer supporting USB based installation for Win 7. The story: Win 7 requires PS2 installation; almost all motherboards have only one PS2; you need to PS2 ports; and the older systems allowed using USB 2.0 to substitute for PS2, but the Skylake boards no longer offer this option:

http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-remove-support-usb-based-windows-7-installation-platform-specs/

A tech also warned me about this.

Well, I could fork out for Win 10, but when considering the savings for this plus the added speed of the Haswell i7 4790K at only a slightly higher cost, started to reconsider.

Now, the questions for everyone:

(1) what are the pros and cons of going with the Haswell i7 vs. the Skylake i5.
(2) does anyone suspect issues of heat, if I use upgraded fans, with the Haswell vs. the Skylake. If the Skylake system is overall much better, I would fork out for Win 10. Otherwise, the super fast i7 would be cool. Also, consider that I'm going for a very small build.
(3) does anyone know of a workaround for the Win installation issue

Last, I was going with micro ATX rather than mini ITX because of the option to add another card, possibly a high grade audio card at some point. Thoughts?

Thanks everyone for all your input.

I want to use a Windows 7 CD that I have on hand, but have heard and read that it is difficult to install Win 7 on Skylake systems due to their no longer supporting USB based installation for Win 7.

Do you have a SATA DVD drive that you could use to install Win 7?

Yogi

manythings

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015
Yes, but Windows 7 requires PS2 mouse and PS2 keyboard during setup. In older systems, the motherboard could substitute USB 2.0 to mimic the PS2 signal, but that option is apparently removed from the latest generation, the Skylake motherboards.