darkslash_323

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Hi, I'm currently looking into building a new computer, but after reading many reviews and etc. I'm still torn between either a Phenom II X4 965 BE or 955 BE or an Intel i-5 750. This computer will be mainly for gaming and I want it to be somewhat future proof and last at least a few years. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Solution

To tell the honest truth, they're both very appropriate for gaming and will perform pretty similarly. There are only a couple differences that may tilt you one way or the other:

1. Intel LGA1156 systems like the i5 750 can only have one PCIe x16 slot with full bandwidth because the PCIe controller is on-die. This has small impications today with running multi-GPU setups (a 5-10% performance hit) but will probably...

To tell the honest truth, they're both very appropriate for gaming and will perform pretty similarly. There are only a couple differences that may tilt you one way or the other:

1. Intel LGA1156 systems like the i5 750 can only have one PCIe x16 slot with full bandwidth because the PCIe controller is on-die. This has small impications today with running multi-GPU setups (a 5-10% performance hit) but will probably become more pronounced in the future. A good 790FX board has enough PCIe lanes to run three (IIRC) PCIe x16 slots at full bandwidth. However, few people run multi-GPU setups so this is probably a moot point.

2. Inel has said (so far) they will not release CPUs with more than four cores for LGA1156. AMD is going to introduce a Socket AM3 Phenom II with six cores in the near-term and will release CPUs with up to eight cores that will work in most* AM3 boards in 2011.

*"Most" meaning any board whose maker updates the BIOS to take new CPUs.

So basically, if PCIe bandwith or upgrade potential to CPUs with >4 cores is important, go with the AM3/Phenom II X4 setup. If not, take a close look at the particular motherboards and such available for each CPU and CPU prices and make a choice based on what ones look like a better deal to you. You won't go wrong either way, so don't worry.

Solution

skora

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2008
The slightly higher multiplier makes it a tiny bit easier to OC over the 955. But not enough to justify the price hike. The best route if you're mainly gaming is get the 955 and put the extra money into a better GPU if you can. The GPU will make a bigger impact on performance than the CPU as all 3 are capable CPUs. If they become the bottleneck, you're already running high enough frame rates that you're not going to notice a difference in gameplay.