Deciding on a motherboard

ULookPrettyGood

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
So this is the build i am going for, dont worry about the case just yet.

All i really need is an opinion on a motherboard, i dont need to be spending too much money on it since i dont need all the little extra gadgets more expensive boards offer. I'd say around $80 to $150 aud.

What can people recommend.
p.s i have heard too many great things about msi boards, and ive had a bad run with an asrock board in the past.

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/wNWBkT

CPU
Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler
Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler

Memory
Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory

Storage
Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card
Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX Video Card

Power Supply
Corsair - CX (2017) 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive
LG - GH24NSD1 DVD/CD Writer

Operating System
Microsoft - Windows 8.1 OEM 64-bit

Solution
Just comments on your build:
Regarding the CPU, I should tell you that the K-series 8th gen Intel processors should launch within the next few weeks, so I'd wait to see what those offer before buying Kaby Lake just yet (Coffee Lake, the new revision, will have SIX CORE MAINSTREAM PROCESSORS - definitely better, but it's the price that can kill...)
I don't know how storage prices stack up in Australia, but I might advise getting a mainstream Seagate Barracuda HDD (still at 2 TB) so that you can get a 500 or 512 GB SSD for the same total price, so that you can put more content at SSD speed... the difference between a mainstream and a premium HDD is small potatoes compared to an SSD.
I'd certainly recommend getting a better power supply...

Nymical

Reputable
Sep 20, 2015
Just comments on your build:
Regarding the CPU, I should tell you that the K-series 8th gen Intel processors should launch within the next few weeks, so I'd wait to see what those offer before buying Kaby Lake just yet (Coffee Lake, the new revision, will have SIX CORE MAINSTREAM PROCESSORS - definitely better, but it's the price that can kill...)
I don't know how storage prices stack up in Australia, but I might advise getting a mainstream Seagate Barracuda HDD (still at 2 TB) so that you can get a 500 or 512 GB SSD for the same total price, so that you can put more content at SSD speed... the difference between a mainstream and a premium HDD is small potatoes compared to an SSD.
I'd certainly recommend getting a better power supply though... the reason it's even called the 2017 CX is because the last version was prone to failure. Bronze is an old technology, and the low-end Corsair units aren't exactly the best... I'd say the price sweet spot right now is to get a Seasonic or EVGA 80+ Gold certified PSU, both are incredibly reputable brands with exceptional warranties.
Just a warning for the CD/DVD drive - the cheaper ones can sound quite loud when spinning up, so if that could bother you, probably look into it.
For OS - WHY WINDOWS 8 DEAR GOD WHY

To the motherboard itself, though:
ASUS is, arguably, the king of motherboards. Its ROG/STRIX series undoubtedly has the best aesthetics, but those are a little expensive. It has some of the highest quality parts though, followed by Gigabyte. MSI is more of a toss-up - sometimes it can be better than Gigabyte, other times it's barely better than ASRock (which isn't that bad as a whole, it's just a lot spottier than MSI - though not nearly as bad as, say, BIOSTAR). ASRock does have some pretty good boards, however they are mostly specialized, expensive, or kind of tacky gaming ones. I don't know about how tax rates and duties affect real prices, but in USD to AUD conversion, the ASRock Taichi caps your price range. It is a dedicated ATX gaming board with WiFi and some decent features, on top of looking the part. For the middle range, an ATX Z270 ASUS motherboard will do nicely (A-series if I remember correctly). They don't have any special features, but are solid, warrantied, and can overclock. For the low end, you can go for a B250 Micro ATX from Gigabyte or MSI - they're quite similar at that price, shop for features, I/O, and warranty between the two to find your match. You can tack WiFi into the package with an upgraded board for ~14 AUD. Compare for yourself to find a solution, and good luck.

Edit - Clarification

Solution