Deciding Pentium 4 worth it's?

MeepsterNotchy

Respectable
Mar 31, 2016
I have a Pentium 4 3.8 GHz machine mainly used for backup, and the BIOS reports temperatures of almost 70C within 5 minutes of startup! I have replaced thermal paste and added a 10000 RPM Delta screamer and that only dropped it to mid-60s. I was wondering due to its age the problem could be the TIM between the die and the HS. Is the HS soldered to the PCB or just adhesive?

Solution
I've heard of this before; some older CPUs do get degradation of how the IHS is attached to the die, and nothing you can do will fix it. I've known of it to happen to early Athlon64's too.
Not sure, but you might want to consider something like a WD MY CLOUD which is a backup drive that attaches to your ROUTER via an ethernet cable (so all local network devices can access it).

That CPU may be hot, but it's still working. Even if it was a TIM issue I wouldn't suggest taking it apart since you could damage it.

mrmez

Splendid
There's a reason they renamed P4 netburst to heatburst.
Sadly most P3's were faster and produced way less heat.
It was a terrible attempt by intel to keep selling cpu's until C2D could be released, not much you can do.

You aren't getting too hot and you aren't going to downclock in bios, not that the p4 even had good speedstep back then anyways. Check temps in windows but it seems normal to me. Ihs don't get soldered to the pcb. Either there is tim or solder to the die and you are soldered. Around the edge is adhesive.

Gaetano77

Honorable
Mar 31, 2016
I have a Pentium 4 HT 3.4 Ghz socket 478 (Asus P4P800 Deluxe motherboard) which reaches 60-62 °C in full load with standard Intel cooler.
I suggest you to install other fans in the case to improve ventilation...