[SOLVED] Deciding what to buy

me686

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
Just built my new system and I now need a new HDD for gaming and storage. I have a SSD for my bootable so I am good there. I am looking at WD_BLACK P10 or the WD_BLACK™ Performance Desktop Hard Drive. PCI and M.2 are not an option at this time.

MB: Asus ROG Strix Z490-H
Processer: Intel Core i7-10700KA Comet Lake 8-core
Ram: G-Skill Ripjaw V Series 16G

Solution
The P10 does not have a sata drive inside it. Its USB only.
The D10 does have a 3.5" 7200rpm enterprise drive in it but the smallest one is 8tb and $190 here. Its still alot cheaper then buying the standalone enterprise drive. LoL

For a cheaper 7200RPM drive that doesn't use SMR there's Toshiba x300. I've used Toshiba many times in the past but not since they've been broken out into their own HDD company so I'm not sue how good their drives or warranty support are. Previously they were really hitachi drives in the box and usually still had the hitachi label on them. :sweatsmile:

popatim

Titan
The P10 is an external 'laptop-sized' usb drive (2.5inches) so that won't make a good gaming drive imo.
It will be slower then the desktop (3.5inch) just due to it's size.

What size drive are you looking for?
If its 1tb then Amazon & BH Photo have the 1tb MX500 sata ssd on sale for $85 (lowest I've ever seen it) currently. its the same size as a laptop harddrive.

me686

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2009
The P10 is an external 'laptop-sized' usb drive (2.5inches) so that won't make a good gaming drive imo.
It will be slower then the desktop (3.5inch) just due to it's size.

What size drive are you looking for?
If its 1tb then Amazon & BH Photo have the 1tb MX500 sata ssd on sale for $85 (lowest I've ever seen it) currently. its the same size as a laptop harddrive.
Looking at about 4TB. I wasn't because of the transfer rate if the 10 would be good or not. was mainly looking at it because it was cheaper than an internal.

popatim

Titan
The P10 does not have a sata drive inside it. Its USB only.
The D10 does have a 3.5" 7200rpm enterprise drive in it but the smallest one is 8tb and $190 here. Its still alot cheaper then buying the standalone enterprise drive. LoL

For a cheaper 7200RPM drive that doesn't use SMR there's Toshiba x300. I've used Toshiba many times in the past but not since they've been broken out into their own HDD company so I'm not sue how good their drives or warranty support are. Previously they were really hitachi drives in the box and usually still had the hitachi label on them. :sweatsmile:

Solution