Deciding what to upgrade

Jul 4, 2018
So I built my computer about 3-4 years ago and honestly cant complain about a thing with it. Has run smoothly and has allowed me to play any game I want with ease. Recently have graduated college so looking to upgrade my build in increments. My current build is this https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mhnp3b
That being said I do stream and probably gonna be streaming more I play games like overwatch, counterstrike, fortnite, pubG. Was wondering for some feedback regarding should I go 144hz monitor first or CPU or Graphics card first. Looking to do one item at a time. And if my motherboard would even supports upgrades to such as an I7 4790K. Any feedback would be great! Thank you all!

Solution
You have decent parts today.
My suggestion would be to do your monitor upgrade first.
You will then have a better idea of what you need from a graphics point of view.
I might not fixate on 144hz capability, but more on higher resolution and larger/wider monitors.
Bust your budget if you have to for a great monitor; it will be with you for a long time.
Keep your old monitor as a side monitor for email, monitors and such.
The relatively static image will not hurt your gaming on the primary monitor.
g.sync capability is very good, but pricey.
It turns out that the adaptive vsync capability of the GTX10xx cards is almost as good.
Those technologies match the gpu capability to the monitor refresh rate to reduce input lag ascreen tearing and...

Wolfshadw

Titan
Here's what I would do, in order:

1) SSD - Get an SSD large enough to hold your OS and most commonly used programs/games.
2) Core System Upgrade - It's time for a new motherboard/CPU/RAM. I'd probably look to the 8th Gen Intel Core I7-series.

The rest of your system is good for the next couple of years.

-Wolf sends

Jul 4, 2018

I forgot to add i do have an SSD already! That is my fault for forgetting to add it! Also I am thinking I want to stick to Intel versus AMD

Jul 4, 2018

I mean i don't exactly have a budget in mind as long as its not crazy expensive it is doable. Also as said forgot to post I do have an SSD and want to more or less stay with intel!

ProperlyPsychotic

Commendable
Nov 12, 2016

I don't think the mobo is needed for an upgrade. DDR3 is completely fine these days and his mobo can support CPUs like i7 - 4790k. Which is still a very capable CPU. I do agree he needs a CPU upgrade. And yes, get an SSD. I recently got the 860 EVO 500GB SSD and it's so nice for $110.

You have decent parts today.
My suggestion would be to do your monitor upgrade first.
You will then have a better idea of what you need from a graphics point of view.
I might not fixate on 144hz capability, but more on higher resolution and larger/wider monitors.
Bust your budget if you have to for a great monitor; it will be with you for a long time.
Keep your old monitor as a side monitor for email, monitors and such.
The relatively static image will not hurt your gaming on the primary monitor.
g.sync capability is very good, but pricey.
It turns out that the adaptive vsync capability of the GTX10xx cards is almost as good.
Those technologies match the gpu capability to the monitor refresh rate to reduce input lag ascreen tearing and stuttering.

If you upgrade the cpu, I7-8700K, a z370 motherboard and ddr4 ram will all be needed.
What is the make/model of your case?
In the list above, the NH-D15 is referenced.
It is an outstanding cooler.
It needs 165mm height to fit.
I recommend the updated NH-D15s which needs only 160mm
https://noctua.at/en/tdp-guide
It is redesigned to clear graphics cards in the first pcie x16 slot as well as ram with tall heat spreaders.

Once you get into streaming, you are ok with 8 threads.
But, 8gb of ram will not likely be sufficient.

If your games tend towards sims, mmo, and strategy games, the single thread performance will be most important.
If your games tend to fast action shooters, a graphics upgrade will be in order. Make it a significant jump, likely a GTX1080 class card.
With rumors of new nvidia cards, it might pay to wait on that.

Solution
Jul 4, 2018

The monitor I have been looking alot at is
https://www.amazon.com/AOC-G2460PF-1920x1080-Adjustable-DisplayPort/dp/B01BV1XBEI?tag=monitorfan-20
seems to be a great monitor then I can have dual monitor set up and nextly would be a new mobo along with CPU I am thinking. Any input in the monitor selection?

I would go better.
If your games are fast action shooters, the one you picked is ok.
But there are many visually stunning games out there.
I would opt for a larger ips based monitor of higher resolution.
Different sizes do not keep you from using dual monitors.
I have a 40" main monitor at 3840 x 2160 and a 30" 2560 x 1600 in portrait mode.
It will be more immersive.
If you can see monitors in person, that is best.
For a modest price, here is a 2560 x 1080 unit:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADM25S41865&cm_re=monitors-_-24-025-344-_-Product
For a top end 34" 3440 x 1440, gsync acer
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3FA6VF6368&cm_re=monitors-_-24-009-869-_-Product