Question Deciding which 7900 XTX card to buy ?

Shadaba

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
Have 2 questions:
  • Is there much of a difference between the 2 cards?
  • Is it better if you pair a msi motherboard with an msi GPU?
2 Cards
  • Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX PULSE 24GB Graphics Card (£900)
  • MSI AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX GAMING TRIO CLASSIC 24GB RDNA3 Graphics Card (£950)
  • 4080: Zotac NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 Trinity 16GB GDDR6X Ray-Tracing Graphics Card, 9728 Core, 2505MHz Boost DLSS 3 (£1090)
Added the 4080 for price reference, not sure it's worth the extra £190/£140.

Links

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Ive got the Powercolor 7900xtx Red Devil and its a great card ive stuck with power color for 3 devils and 2 hellhounds now 7900xtx red devil 6900xt red devil and the 5700xt red devil
and the 6700xt spectral white hellhound and the 6650xt sakura hellhound..
never had a issue with any of them all have been perfect !!

That said if i was going to buy other than powercolor id go Sapphire they have been doing AMD gpu's and only AMD gpu's for years and years !!

No need to match msi with msi there is no bonus for it

as for the 4080 unless RT is youre thing the 7900xtx is a far better buy !!

Never used it, so not sure how much value it holds
I would say it's worth having, ray tracing can be hit or miss. Some games like Cyberpunk do it very well, others not so much. If you were to use image upscaling techniques then DLSS is better than FSR.

They are both very good really, I have a preference for Nvidia personally but your unlikely to be disappointed with either.

the pulse is entry level series. the Gaming Trio is a bigger card with factory clocks.

I would choose the gaming trio for better temps and lower noise.

Are these cards going to be used for 4k 144hz gaming? if yes, you have made the correct gpu choice.

If you have a 2k 144hz, go for the 7900XT which start at £730, its more than enough.

4070ti starts at £780, if you dont mind the 12gb vram, thats also a good buy.

Shadaba

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
the pulse is entry level series. the Gaming Trio is a bigger card with factory clocks.

I would choose the gaming trio for better temps and lower noise.

Are these cards going to be used for 4k 144hz gaming? if yes, you have made the correct gpu choice.

If you have a 2k 144hz, go for the 7900XT which start at £730, its more than enough.

4070ti starts at £780, if you dont mind the 12gb vram, thats also a good buy.
Using for 1080p gaming at the moment, hoping this card will give me 2k in my current system while I decide on B650 board and create a new build.
Planning on a new build in the next few months with B650 board (not decided yet) with 7800X3D cpu. Debating on 1000w be quiet psu or corsair rmx shift 1000w.

After the new build 4k 144hz gaming it will be.

Ok just seen this offer Asrock Radeon RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card £890. Is it a better option?

It is a better option, but not really required. But if you can afford it, it will last you longer. Slightly better ray tracing performance compared to 7900XT.

Reactions: Shadaba

Shadaba

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
It is a better option, but not really required. But if you can afford it, it will last you longer. Slightly better ray tracing performance compared to 7900XT.
I was comparing to the MSI gaming trio 7900XTX or Saphire Pulse 7900XTX. Does the brand make a difference? Is the Asrock the best of the three?

These are the video card brands that I have owned at one point or another:

Albatron
ASUS
ASRock
Dell
Gigabyte
Palit
PNY
Sapphire
XFX
ATi

What I learned from owning all of these brands is that they're all more or less the same as far functionality and performance are concerned. Pick the "brand" that is the least expensive and you should be good. The differences in performance are insignificant compared to the increase in costs.

The Sapphire Pulse is the less expensive model and I can guarantee you that Sapphire has much better customer service than MSi. Sapphire is legendary for their customer service, so much so that they've been called "The EVGA of Radeon" and I would recommend them over MSi seven days a week and twice on Sunday. This is especially true considering that the Sapphire card is the less expensive option.

This is not to say that the MSi product won't be good, it's just that if there is a problem with the card, Sapphire will take much better care of you than MSi.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadaba

Shadaba

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2014
Sapphire has good support. but dont know about UK. Asrock is a new entry to GPUs.

The pulse is factory clock almost. the phantom OC has higher boost clocks. So if you plan on using it in stock settings, the phantom will give marginally better performance.

Sapphire is 313mm while phantom is 330mm in length.

Aug 1, 2023
Have 2 questions:
  • Is there much of a difference between the 2 cards?
  • Is it better if you pair a msi motherboard with an msi GPU?
2 Cards
  • Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX PULSE 24GB Graphics Card (£900)
  • MSI AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX GAMING TRIO CLASSIC 24GB RDNA3 Graphics Card (£950)
  • 4080: Zotac NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 Trinity 16GB GDDR6X Ray-Tracing Graphics Card, 9728 Core, 2505MHz Boost DLSS 3 (£1090)
Added the 4080 for price reference, not sure it's worth the extra £190/£140.
When comparing the two AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX graphics cards, the main difference seems to be the brand and design. The Sapphire PULSE variant is priced at £900, while the MSI GAMING TRIO CLASSIC version is slightly more expensive at £950. Both cards boast 24GB of memory and belong to the RDNA3 architecture so they might be quite similar performance-wise. As for pairing an MSI motherboard with an MSI GPU, it's not a strict requirement, but it can have some advantages.

MSI products are usually designed to work well together, which could lead to smoother compatibility and optimization. However, it's essential to check your chosen components' specific features and compatibility to ensure they work seamlessly. As for the added Zotac RTX 4080 at £1090, it's worth considering whether the extra cost justifies its performance boost compared to the AMD options. Ultimately, weighing your budget and performance needs is crucial to make the best decision for your gaming setup.

Last edited: