Decision on Mobo for i5 2500k gaming?

blablaface

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011
Hey,

so i've decided to take on the adventures of building a rig...
this rig will be based on purely gaming and for the use of other casual stuff. Also i shall be attempting to overclock the cpu to near enough 5ghz

as i have come to research, the up to date cpu which is probably the best on the market for a good price is the i5 2500k.

Now i need to find a motherboard of which will do me good and make me happy - i have been looking at a few so far...

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P

Asus MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z

Asus P8Z68-V GEN3

ASRock Z68 Extreme4

there are loads of options and choices on motherboards, just which one?
i would like to hear your thoughts, opinions & experiences

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Asus P8P67 and P8Z68 series are good; ASRock is good, too.

Can't say anything for Gigabyte, they're good but I don't see their boards recommended too often.

I can definitely advise to stay away from Asus ROG boards - they're excellent, but way too overpriced unless you have a huge budget. They simply don't have enough features that justify the high price. The ROG board you linked doesn't suffer from that issue, it has a very decent price tag of $190, but watch out since it doesn't have any PCI slots (if you don't need them, then you don't care).

Do you need SLI or Crossfire? What graphics card are you leaning towards? Your power supply choice depends on it.

Right choice on the CPU. I suggest a Coolermaster Hyper 212+ or CM Hyper 212 EVO as your CPU heatsink for OCing.